Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Dogtoberfest and walking part of the Pantano River Park in Tucson

Would I have energy to walk at all today after a second hike to Chiva Falls yesterday?  SteveT and I had a visit to Dogtoberfest in mind, and I went ahead to agree to it.  I wasn't too tired after a good sleep the night before.  My only complaint today were several imbedded cholla thorns in my upper left thigh from yesterday's climb to the upper falls. 


This year's Dogtoberfest was held at the Three Canyons Beer and Grill bar on North Sabino road, a pretty part of town with vast views of the Catalinas.  I had never been to this beer bar before, so curiosity got the best of me.  Plus it was dogcentric, so our dogs would feel welcome.  This annual event promotes adoptions, dog health, daycare and hospice,  and there are contests for best dressed dog and other such categories for dogs to participate in.


Unfortunately, the venue was simply too small, too narrow.  There were too many dogs too close together meandering along the narrow pathway between tents.  Trace was loving all the butt sniffing, but Hansel was not comfortable.  At all.   


There weren't many vendors this year, perhaps because of the lack of space.  This was disappointing as Tucson is so dog friendly and offers many businesses for dogs. After a quick walk around the vendors and getting all the free pens I could muster, we decided to sit up front and have lunch with beer.  Again I picked a chicken sandwich and had two Tirrito beers from Willcox.


Dogs were passing us by, some in costume.  Some harassed Hansel, some encouraged Hansel to play with him.  He was restless.  The sun above us heated our heads.  I was actually glad to leave the place but disappointed I couldn't participate in any of the events because of all the dogs so closely together.  I hope next year's event is at a larger venue with more open space for anxious dogs.



We left to walk another section of the Chuck Huckleberry Loop, from the Kolb Executive Park south to The Pit, a total of just over six miles round trip.  



This stretch is along nicely landscaped apartments and condos and parts are shaded by palo verde.  Lowe's and Home Depot also share the path. Memorial trees for departed loved ones line parts of this section. Cross streets like Broadway and Speedway also have restaurants and fast food places along the way.


The clouds from the morning were now gone. It was warm at first and few users were on the path, but once we resumed our return walk along the Pantano wash, we had to make way for several groups of cyclists.  The sun was dropping low and the heat was not quite so intense.


My phone had died in that last mile, but we walked at least six miles, knocking out three more miles off the total Loop mileage.  This was a pleasant way to finish my fall break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment