Saturday, October 15, 2022

Chiva Falls with the Huachuca Hiking Club

Today was the big day: leading the hike to Chiva Falls with a group of strong hikers with the Huachuca Hiking Club.  My big concern was hot weather or no water in the falls, but it turned out to be all good in the end, although I was six minutes late to my own meet-up and some of the guys were wondering if it was going to rain.  We were a group of seven:  JimA, Steve A, Steve S, Barry D, JohnS, Ryan D.  Dark clouds loomed toward our northwest.

"That's seventy-percent chance of rain for Tuscon," I claimed, "and that's 20 miles east of Tucson!"  I was determined to do this hike, and a few diehard men agreed.

So we seven convoyed in three trucks, with SteveA and Hansel riding with me. I once again used Google Maps to navigate to the trailhead, taking us on narrow roads that dubiously dipped into a few dry washes before reaching Redington Pass and the trail head.   It sprinkled briefly during our drive and clouds to the north remained dark and menacing, but it never rained during the hike.


We got to the trail head at 9:10am.  We were the first ones there and I was so glad not to have to share the road with ATVers, but as soon as we all dismounted, a group of eight trucks hauling ATVs came in and filled the parking lot.  So much for solitude, but at least the ATVers were polite and we gave each other space. Many more ATVs passed us throughout the hike.  We quickly took off while the ATVers continued to prep for their rides in the parking lot.  This bought us time.


It was 67F at the start, but it continued to warm up as we hiked.   


I hiked with SteveS and RyanD, staying on the route.  At the two-mile mark SteveA found an unmarked trail that he, Jim, Barry and John took.  This unmarked foot trail diverted away from ATVs and cut out 0.3 miles each way.  We all took this on the way back.  A mature juniper tree grew in the middle of this trail, one of few shade trees along the route.


The water level in Tanque Verde creek was running normal again after Monday's deluge.  We were able to rock hop across the water to avoid cold, damp feet.  This last mile nearing the waterfall gets more shaded and more elevated, and we soon came across the falls that included all the ATVers who passed us earlier.


I was famished, not having had breakfast before, so I quickly sat down to eat some sweet cranberry-pecan salad.  The falls captivated the others, who found boulders to sit and have lunch on.  John's knee kept him from finishing the hike and he stayed back.  Hansel wanted to play fetch with SteveA and me, and I wanted to climb up to the top of the falls since SteveA didn't want to go up there on Monday.


After a quick exploration of the shelter cave behind the falls, Jim and I rock scrambled to the top.  Ryan soon followed. It was here that we were able to get away from the ATV engines, gushing water, and people chatter; away from the noise. 

It was so much more quiet up here. Climbing up here was like entering a new habitat of trickling water, sun-warmed boulders and yellow-blooming turpentine shrubs sprinkled with solitude. 


We couldn't stay long as the others were waiting for us below.  Jim scrambled back down and Ryan and I took the high ATV road down.  This road intersects with the road down to the falls, 4405.


I was now starting to feel exhausted from the climbing temperatures.  I was determined to pick up as many aluminum cans along the way, which I did on Monday as well but today there were as many as before.  They weighed me down. Once we crossed the creek again I fell behind, and the last two miles were unbearably hot for both Hansel and me.  I sauntered to the finish in 5:16 hours where the rest of the guys were waiting.  Hansel jumped right into the back of the truck and wouldn't move again until I was back home.


Both Steves, Ryan and I stopped at Hops Sports Grill for a post-meal.  It was loud at first, which got even louder when the thunderstorm broke out, sprinkling the inside patio tent with water.  One customer opened her umbrella to stay dry.  I had a Coronado Brewing Company Blood Orange Hefeweizen with a BBQ chicken sandwich.  That filled me up for the rest of the day.


We had a sunny and clear ride back to Sierra Vista.  We really lucked out missing the rain directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment