Sunday, May 1, 2022

A shopping extravaganza

I did my usual morning walk with the dogs after sunrise, walking Gretel, Gretchen and Sweetie around the hood for a mile. Gretel wasn't ready to go back into the house, so she got a small lap by herself before I tackled Hansel and Sahne. It was already reaching 60F by 6 :30.

Somewhere on today's walk, my reading glasses slipped out of my front jeans pocket. I can't read small print without my reading glasses, so shortly after the Dollar General Store opened at 8am, I was there to get more glasses and the usual dog food 

But today was special. There were so many items marked 50 percent off that I use: personal hygiene items like toothpaste, creams and cold medicines, to food storage bowls with lids, laundry detergent,  Colombian coffee by Dunkin Donuts, and leftover Easter jelly beans. I must have scrutinized every aisle because I didn't come home till 10:30 and spent $217, a record for me at this DG store. 

I couldn't resist the prices on things I normally buy anyway, especially with the cost of everything else going up.I've been trying hard to save as much as I can on food for the dogs, a big part of my food bill, so when I see sales for other items that I use, I jump on it.

I came home and Gretchen had found my open bag of sugar and scattered that all over the floor. I had left it out after savoring some cold tea earlier and forgot to put it away.  I scooped all that up and made fly attractant by pouring the dirty sugar into an empty gin bottle and adding water to it. Flys here seem to like gin and sugar.

I can't leave Gretchen alone for long. That dog gets into everything!!! I get angry at her, but I can't stay angry for long because I know I can't keep her with the other dogs because they attack her and she doesn't like being put in the back yard with her siblings because she immediately goes into submission.

She is going to be my Special Needs dog for life.

I bought a lot of things, including macaroni and Prego mushroom sauce to attempt my first home-cooked meal in the RV using an electric grill hooked to my solar battery. I need to find cheaper means to eat. This was a bit disappointing as the water took over 40 minutes to boil, creating very soft pasta and over a pound of soft, goey pasta that I now must eat within a day as I can't keep anything cool. I'm going to have to learn to  cook all over again using solar power.

I may try an electric percolator next so that I can book water for instant soups. I am also considering getting two more solar panels and then connecting the two bigger power stations together for when there is heavy nighttime use.

The high winds that were forecasted to arrive from 11am to 8pm never materialized. It was hot in the RV and Sweetie was happier being outside under the RV's shade. Gretchen slept and I tumbled more clothes clea, hanging shirts and jeans from whatever hook I could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment