Friday, May 21, 2021

Sahne's first introduction to the San Pedro River

It was another cool and overcast morning, creating a dramatic sunrise.  The northern sky looked like it was brining rain, but we didn't get any of that.  It all stayed in Sierra Vista, as a few drops fell on my way to work.


The dramatic clouds, however, lingered all day.  It was a day I knew I had to take advantage of once I got home, packing all the hiking dogs and even took Sahne with me, the most adventurous of the five pups.  She likes to run with the big dogs, and I caught her running down the street with Hansel and Gretel, ears flapping in the wind, right before I loaded up the Honda with dogs.

I had Sahne on a narrow leash ideal for small dogs as we got out of the car.  She stayed with me as we walked the short section from the B&B to the water, but once we got to the water, she wanted to run with the others.  She loves the water!

But she didn't stop there.  She managed to stay close to her parents who ran up and down the river's banks, through the tall dead grasses, and came back to me when I called the others.  Granted, this is risky when there are so many other dogs, and she still isn't fully vaccinated for another two weeks.  I couldn't help but share her enjoyment being out in the big world.  

I only walked 1.6 miles though, turning around at the northeastern edge of the field where the birding trail meets up with the river trail.  It was then that we heard three gun shots.  "That sounds like a .22" I told Susan, and I was right.  "Stop the shooting, there's people here!" I yelled, and Bob came out of the woods.  He had shot and killed a coyote he was tracking, in an area we had just walked through.

"Too many coyotes this year" he explained, looking a bit annoyed that we had all our dogs with us again.  His three Goldens were quietly by his side and walked along with us back to our cars.  I put the dogs in the Honda with the windows down and joined Susan and Bob for a bit more talk.

Thus ended a lovely week, three of them with overcast skies and a chance of rain.  Warmer temperatures are expected back early next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment