Sunday, May 9, 2021

Aunt Susan the puppy sitter

I slept soundly overnight.

Susan had volunteered her time and home to have the three female puppies, Gretchen, Sahne and Sheba, stay with her Friday night through Sunday morning to give Kevin a break from the brood.  Wolfie and Fritzi stayed with him.

I knew I'd be too tired to pick them up Saturday night, so Susan agreed she would have them over a second night, and that I'd come by in the morning to pick the puppies up.  At 7:30am I was on my way to her house.  I ended up bringing the four older hiking dogs as well.  They probably thought they were going down to the river.

I'm not normally over at anyone's home that early, but today we sat on her patio and watched the morning sun between the trees.  Her flowers were beginning to glow in the sunlight. She showed me where the pups frolicked in her garden, flattening out some of the decorative grasses and pooping in shaded corners.  She seemed genuinely happy to have had them over, but did say the puppies had trouble overnight holding their bladders in; someone pooped three times on her carpets.

Her dog Allie seemed to enjoy the company, chasing the pups and playing with Sahne.  Only Gretchen seemed off, said Susan, whom she found a few times whimpering in her home for help.  Gretchen was the only pup that didn't figure out the doggy door.  "I feel sorry for her" added Susan.

Perhaps Gretchen is a special needs dog, much like Gretel was in her first year.  Perhaps she is just immature and will grow into a calmer dog, much like her mother. Susan admitted that she would watch the puppies again during the day, but not overnight since the puppies get up so early to frolic and play.  They are conditioned to Kevin and me getting up every day between midnight and 4am.

We walked around her property a few times with the puppies.  They all enjoyed the romp. I was at her place for 90 minutes before driving back home with a car full of dog.  I agreed that I could meet with her later in the day and walk the dogs along the river.

How many dogs fit into a 2014 Honda CR-V?  Seven!

I didn't do much else the rest of the day but the usual gardening stuff.  My trees, even my palo verde trees, have many dead branches that need trimming.

Susan and I met up again at 4:30pm by the Casa de San Pedro B&B.  I brought Minnie, Zeke, Sweetie and Hansel and Gretel and walked north slowly to our 1.3-mile turn-around point.  The river is losing water fast, with what is left turning algaeic, but it's cool enough for the dogs and there are still a few deep parts for Minnie to swim in.  As long as Minnie can still walk, I will take the time to bring her here.  This is her paradise.

Today's total mileage was just over four miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment