Saturday, April 4, 2020

Mount Wrightson with Chuck and Zeke

I hadn't bagged Mount Wrightson since July 2016.  It was a tribute hike to Holly and Doug who were leaving for Alaska three weeks later.  They had always wanted to bag that mountain and we did it on a hot, sunny day.  The peak saw much fire damage in the 2005 Florida fire.

Today the weather was much more conducive to hiking.  Forecast was for temperatures between 41F-66F with a slight breeze.  I wore my pink fleece jacket that I never took off.

It was just two people in the group.  Two other women from Chuck's hiking group in Tucson bowed out, and BillK bowed out at 2:41am via a text message, saying he decided to stay closer to home.

We met at the Madera canyon parking lot, a popular recreation area that the Forest Service has not closed off to hikers during this Covid-19 pandemic, even though the picnic areas, bathrooms and campgrounds are.  Hikers are still expected to pay the $8 day use fee, too.  The parking aea was crowded and there were plenty of people on the trail.

Mount Wrightson at 9453' (2881m) is the tallest peak in the Santa Ritas.  There is no easy way up there, either.  I wasn't sure how I'd do, since I was so exhausted after bagging Miller on Tuesday.  To my surprise, I did fine.  I think the cool weather and gentle breeze helped us all.

We started the hike going up the Old Baldy trail, the steeper of the two trails one can take to the peak.  It's 2.2miles long to Josephine Saddle, but much steeper than the 4.2-mile Super Trail that joins the Josephine saddle, too.   This part of Mount Wrightson was spared fire damage from the 2005 blaze, so there's plenty of shade to stay cool under.  Oaks and agaves and then Ponderosa Pines dot the landscape.  There still stands a memorial for three Boy Scouts who froze to death in a blizzard in November 1958.  It's a humble reminder to never misjudge Mother Nature.



To my surprise, the wildflowers were still missing and it was generally dry in the forest.  Water was running in Bellows Spring which is right off the trail, and there was some in Baldy Springs coming down, but the flora looked parched.  The only flower I came across on the hike was a white alpine flower I do not recognize.  The gallon of water I carried was enough for Zeke and me because of the water elsewhere, but we are now losing the snowpack that has melted and brought us all the water earlier in March.  There wasn't enough snow on the peak to be a hindrance.


The last mile to the peak resembles a spiral walk up an exposed rock. You have either the sun or the wind on your back.  Today it was sunny, but the winds were calm.   Several ravens entertained me while ascending the final mile.


We made it to the peak in 3:40 hours for the 5.3 miles.  Many of the people who started out when we did were on the peak when we arrived.  Zeke schmoozed with everyone.  I gave him the entire bag of chicken strips treats as he had earned it, yet he came up to everyone for cuddles, hoping to win treats.  He even posed in a picture with young hikers who didn't mind.  He was a real ham today, but he did tire on the way down via the Super Trail, which goes along the eastern side of the mountain and is exposed to the sun.  Here one can see the extensive damage from that fire of 2005.  Luckily new pines are coming back, but I won't live long enough to see the trail get shaded again.  The pines that were two-three feet tall in 2016 are now six feet and taller.



Taking the Super Trai back added 1.8 miles to the distance, but it's not as steep as Old Baldy and easier on the knees.  The entire hike was 12 miles long and took us 8:09 hours to finish.  The parking area was still packed at 4pm when we were back by our cars.  Chuck brought out Kiltlifter beer for us to share which we had on some stairs that were in the shade and close to our cars.  I must remember to reciprocate on our next hike.

Chuck and I departed at this point.  I stopped for a 1.5-mile cooldown in the lower elevation nature trail. where a running stream could refresh Zeke.  People were camping out in dispersed spots, clearly violating the "social distancing" rule.  I walked the mountain bike trail off Proctor Road for a bit before turning around.  Here is where all the wildflowers were: the poppies, penstemons and thistle.


I left the area at 6pm, still with plenty of light for a safe drive home.  I stopped in Sonoita at the Tia Nita's pizzeria. I really like their pizza.  I wanted to order a pizza to go, which is what they are now advertising on their marquee, since sit-in dining is banned under the Covid-19 pandemic until lifted by the Governor. I  walked into the bar area and saw several people sitting down with mixed drinks, three young women playing a boardgame with the bartender, and I'm being completely ignored.  I stood the required distance but never got acknowledged. It was 7:15pm and the kitchen was still open until 8pm, but I opted to not say anything and just walked out. I had a cheap meal at Taco Bell instead.  At least I saved myself tip money for lousy service.  I made it home by 8pm and went straight to bed.  Even Zeke lay down right away.



No comments:

Post a Comment