Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Garden Canyon Road (Ft Huachuca)


I got up early for a sunrise hike with all four dogs.  I made it a short one, to the creek crossing and back (1.5 miles) because of the 8am meet-up with the Sierra Vista Hikers in Garden Canyon.  The full moon was setting over the Huachucas when I started at 5:40am.  Sunrise was at 6:03.

Carr creek is now dry at the crossing and I'm seeing the pond drying up, too.  April is when the dry, warm winds begin.  This morning it was cool and the day ended up being breezy and cloudy.  I stayed only long enough to get all the dogs walked and Minnie to swim a few laps.  We made it home by 6:50am.  I had time to eat breakfast before meeting everyone for the Garden Canyon hike.



When had I last hiked this scenic road?  I visited in November 2018 with the dogs, but that was a crowded visit,  Today we were the only ones up there, thanks to the coronavirus pandemic.  HollyW, SteveD, BonnieM, Jeong and Jenny, DavidB and three well-behaved dogs were today's company.  We quickly broke off into small groups.  Jeong and Jenny are fast walkers and were soon out of sight.  HollyW and BonnieM held up the rear.  I chatted with Steve and David.


Several flowers and trees were in bloom, including Golden Colombine and apple. Water was running nicely along the road until we got to where the Boy Scout hut once was, 2.57 miles from where we had parked.  I never had to stop to give Zeke water.  This is where the group normally turns around for a five-mile hike, but I said I wanted to go a little farther to see if there was water in the big basin.  To my surprise, everyone except Holly and Bonnie were interested. I warned everyone that the road gets badly rutted and rocky here and the grade increases.


There wasn't much water in the basin.  I came three weeks too late. The remaining water looked stagnant.  I was going to turn around here, but David and Jeong were interested in seeing where the road ended.  I warned them that this last mile is uphill, exposed and rocky.  They didn't mind.   So off we went. That's the spirit!



Garden Canyon has a fascinating geologic history to it, with tall cliffs, conglomerate rock, and much uplift.  That trees can still grow here is impressive.  Only once have I been up the side firebreaks here exploring, but I wouldn't go back there again unless I had company and several dogs.

We all got to the post boundary together, 3.7 miles from where we started.  Gate #2 is the end terminus.  We stood by the gate and wondered what the road continuing on into Sunnysites canyon would be like, when we heard voices.  Where those illegals hiding in the woods?  No, they revealed to be two USBP agents on a black ATV watching the post boundary.  They came out to chat with us.  They were from the Sonoita District and were probably happy to have someone to talk to.  Do illegals still come up this way, I asked.  Oh yes, was the answer, especially now that everyone is camping around Parker canyon Lake and illegals don't sneak through land where there are a lot of people.



We turned around here.  I showed the group where one could continue on via the Crest Trail, but that will be for another day.

We returned the way we came, again in our groups, and then went our separate ways once we got back to our cars.  Everyone quickly drove off, and that was fine with me because I had to pee!


The day got windier and cloudier as it got older, covering any moon later on.  Saturday's forecast is predicting 40% chance of rain, and I hope we get some.  Our mountains have gotten too dry too soon.

(Photos with me in them were taken by Jeoung S A)












There are now 1,478,769 confirmed cases of Covid-19 globally, with 88, 065 deaths.  The United States has 431,085 confirmed cases with 14, 777 deaths.  Arizona is up to 2726 cases and 80 deaths.  Cochise County is now reporting 11  cases.  That is seven more in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment