Sunday, February 9, 2020

Slavin Gulch to the Abril Mine, Dragoon Mtns

This was much the same hike I did with Susan last Sunday, but this time the group went all the way up to the ore chute, 7.6 miles round trip.  I didn't sleep well at all the night before and was worried I would suffer on this hike.  (I did fine.)


There were eight of us:  JanetH; Kim C-F and her German exchange student Rebecka; Steve, Laurie;  Galen and wife Sunny; Zeke and I.  We met at 9am at Fry's Food in SV and carpooled to the trailhead in the Dragoons.

Weather ranged from 48F-61F with winds increasing in the afternoon.  We were concerned that the winds, forecasted to gust 21-23 mph, would hamper our hike, but the hills around us actually sheltered us and provided a cool breeze.  Clouds increased in the afternoon as well, providing a more diffused sky that kept Zeke cool.  We all agreed that it was ideal weather for a hike.  Even Zeke seemed to do well in the cooler weather.


I led this hike.  None of the others had ever been to the Abril mine, one of the more extensive mine complexes in the area that is still open.  The upper mines are better reached via the Soren Pass. but the trail we were on makes for a better hike.  We made it to the lower ore chute, now long collapsed but still leaning against the hillside. Janet and Kim have jeeps that could get them closer to the actual mines.  I was last there a few years ago with the dogs, but I don't think my Honda would get me very far up the Soren Pass road.

The group was strong and hiked at a decent pace, but I quickly noticed tension between several hikers.  I stayed away from the perps. I wasn't even sure we would make it to the ore chute until we got to the upper hoodoos and the slower hikers said they were interested in getting to the mine .  So onward we went.


The manzanitas grow denser once one gets away from the hoodoos, and the grade increases in that last mile to the ore chute.  The trail follows a drainage route well shaded by manzanitas.  Water here had dried up and traction was good on the otherwise decomposed granite.  It's a nicely shaded section of the trail.

Once we got to our destination, we rested here and some explored the lower tailings.  Steve went up a narrow canyon to discover that what we thought were minerals hanging over rocks was actually ice.  We ate our lunch, chatted, took lots of photographs, then started on our return hike.  Luckily everyone agreed not to explore the mines more.  I didn't want to be stuck this far up the trail with the winds increasing and the clouds getting denser.  I also didn't want anyone getting injured.



The return hike was quicker than the hike into the gulch.  Our only stop was at the hidden watering hole.  This watering hole is off the path and not visible from the trail.  One has to know it is there.  I took the group down to the big boulders to judge for themselves.  They were all impressed, although half the group stayed safely on higher ground while only Janet, Steve and I explored the boulders.

I was very hungry once we got back to the cars.  We all agreed to have a meal in Tombstone, at the Longhorn restaurant, one of few places open once the day tourists leave.  I had a taco salad and water.  I dared not have any alcohol because I was so tired.  When I got home, I went quickly to bed and slept through the night.




No comments:

Post a Comment