Thursday, January 2, 2020

Heading back to Arizona; hiking the Bluff View Trail (Wildwood, MO)

Distance: 2.5 miles one-way.
Significance: views of the Meramec River and hills of St Louis County.
Trailhead: Exit 264 off I-44, three miles north on MO109.  Turn right on Washington St, then Old State Road to end.  Access is off the Meramac River rail trail 0.25 miles to the north, beginning with a gentle incline. https://www.cityofwildwood.com/409/Bluff-View-Trail
***
I didn't leave Carol's until 10:34am.  I wanted to leave at 9am. A clogged Keurig machine delayed my departure.  I guess my three-cups-a-day Keurig habit had clogged the machine and I didn't want to take off with a clogged machine for  Carol to deal with.  This is the second time I've clogged her Keurig machine.  At least now I'm a pro at unclogging Keurigs!

My plan was to make it to the Sherman Beach Park west of St Louis before dark and hike the scenic bluff trail.   This meant I couldn't stop much on the five-hour drive if I wanted to get to the trail before dark, especially with my delayed departure. I had good weather for the drive, although the open, flat land across Illinois was gusty, with winds reaching 27mph.  Illinois can be brutal in the winter, so I was grateful for the otherwise clear roads and mild weather.  It reached 55F today, with colder weather due back tomorrow.

Illinois has now legalized marijuana as of New Year's Day.  This created long lines at all the state's dispensaries, including one right off I-55 near East St Louis.

I got to the trail parking lot at 3:04pm. There were plenty of cars in the parking lot,  as this lot is the trail head for several trails that merge here, including a paved multiuse trail through town. This didn't leave me much time as the trail officially closes a half-hour after dark.  Sunset was at 4:55pm with an overcast sky, making it darker faster. This meant I powerhiked this entire trail in an hour.  Turns out this is a very popular trail for mountainbikers who start at the upper parking lot and ride downhill.  I was surprised how many people were still on this trail at dusk. The trail is well-marked and easy to follow as it meanders around hemlocks and oaks.


Zeke enjoyed chasing the grey squirrels, who were in abundance.  He most likely got an extra mile in just running after them as I powerhiked the rooty switchbacks to the scenic overlook.  I got to this vista point at just a mile, but it was already getting to dusk and the views weren't clear.  I continued on the trail for another half mile to the upper parking lot, where I turned around and took a parallel paved trail

back to the scenic overlook, then took an unmarked trail down the steep hill that meandered along a barbed wire fence, around some limestone protrusions, and then back to the rail trail.  This shortcut cut off two miles and got me back to the Honda before official darkness. 

I enjoyed this trail and hope to explore more trails in St Louis County on subsequent road trips back to Chicagoland.  What makes the Bluff View trail so pleasant is the quick access off the interstate.  Parking lot is spacious and there is no user fee.  I'm sure it's even more beautiful when the trees are leafed out.  Another easy leg stretcher would be walking a few miles along the Meramec Greenway, the 20-mile rail trail that once was home to the Missouri-Pacific Railroad.  The Route 66 State Park is across the river on the south side of I-44, so there is plenty to chose from for next time.  Stopping in St Louis County to hike before entering Illinois and flat farmland is well-placed, as there is nothing along the route in Illinois besides a few rail trails.


The rest of the drive was across Missouri on I-44.  This is hilly terrain with lots of hiking trails right off the interstate.

I made it to Joplin before stopping for the night.  Plans to stop at a brewpub failed, as the Public Brewhouse in Rollo, MO ("Rahla") was closed for renovation and the Springfield Brewing Company in the town of the same name had just closed at 9pm when I made it into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment