Sunday, January 19, 2020

Agua Caliente Hill

Distance: 8.5 miles
Elevation gain 2880'
Significance: a challenging hike with vistas

This is one tough hill at 5375.'  I had done this hill back in 2011 with the Huachuca Hiking Club.  All I remember is how steep the last half mile was.  It was time to do it again.  I only wish it was cloudy and cooler for this hike, as this is a very exposed trail.  It was 44F and breezy at the start and 75F and calm when I finished this hike seven hours later.


I got to the trailhead early, parking under a mesquite tree for afternoon shade.  The trailhead has a dedicated parking area with signs. There were already locals coming down the trail when I started my hike at 8:30am.  The trail meanders among the hillside saguaros and quickly ascends.  I knew then that this would be a tiring hike, as the steps up the hill in the first mile are rather steep.

The first two miles are rolling hills.  At 1.7 mile I reached a stockpond,where I rested for 20 minutes to give Zeke a break.  This hike offers little shade and the only shade I had was from the shade casted by the hills in the early morning sun.  There was much less shade later in the day.  At the two-mile mark was more water from a creek and here we stopped again.


Most people I met going out went to the saddle at the three-mile mark.  Only four made it to the summit and two were coming back as I was going out.  From the saddle one can see Agua Caliente Canyon and parts of the hike Steve and I did yesterday.

Agua Caliente Hill is still 1.5 miles from the saddle.  The trail here follows an ascending ridgeline, going around one false summit and then a half-mile along a grassy ridge with more views into the north canyons.

The toughest part of this hike is the last 0.4 miles.  Here the trail is steep and loose rock, requiring one to watch one's step the entire way.  We saw a glistening spring off the trail and this water break was a godsend for Zeke.

It took me 3.5 hours to get to the top.  It was 12:07pm. An ammo box for hikers and a benchmark are here.  I signed my name and then sat in the shade of an oak tree and ate tangerines while Zeke ate chicken jerky.  Another couple rested under another oak tree but they left before I did.  I was tired and knew I needed more energy for the return hike.  It was now warmer and less breezy. I started my return hike at 12:37pm.

I stopped at the spring again on the return hike and then took a forward fall when I got back to the trail, cutting up both hands, my right knee, and ripping my jeans.  Luckily no permanent damage, but I sure did cuss a lot at this point.

I stopped at all the same water spots on the return hike.  Zeke was tired, too.  The crowds from the morning were now gone, although two young men were heading out as I was nearing the parking lot.

My thighs were sore.  I was relieved to be back at the car and I'm sure so was Zeke, who went straight to the back of the Honda.  My next destination was Old Chicago Pizza and Pub on North Campbell as I was very hungry.

I like Old Chicago.  My first visit at this chain was on New Year's Eve in Merrillville, IN.  The location in Tucson is larger but offers the same food.  Only the craft beer list is different as this chain focuses on local craft beer.  I got the medium deep dish pizza offered to birthday people and requested the Veggie 7 toppings.  The pizza was big enough for two people!  I sat at the bar between two your women who shared photos of their cats.  One was from Minnesota, the other from Iowa.  I joined in the conversation, but I didn't share any photos from my phone.  The Green Bay Packers were playing the Kansas City Chiefs for the Superbowl semi-finals, which is perhaps why the restaurant was crowded.  I found the conversation about cats more interesting. The Chiefs won so now they will be playing the San Francisco 49ers for the Superbowl in two weeks.

There are a lot of interesting restaurants on North Campbell Avenue.  After my filling meal I went to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base for the night.  The RV park was full, so I found a dark and secluded spot in the Lodging parking lot where I went to sleep right away.  It was a warm night but I slept well all night long.





No comments:

Post a Comment