Friday, June 28, 2019

Plymouth, IN

Today didn't go as planned.  I was 30 miles west of Plymouth, IN on US30 when I get a lengthy text from my stepdad at 9:11am:

"...I'm sorry, but let's please forget about your coming over today.  Some things have come up, and I have a haircut appoitment that I forgot about.  And tomorrow is not an option, either, because of a breakfast with old high school classmates and then an afternoon retirement party for my primary care physician here in Culver.  We'll do this another day..."

I was initially annoyed with the sudden cancellation.  Both Carol and I had gotten up earlier than usual so that I can make an early meetup time with my stepdad, but that annoyance quickly dissipated when I realized that I had four extra hours now to explore Plymouth.  My stepdad goes shopping there since there's nothing in Culver for bulk shopping, but all I know about the town are the many shops and fast-food joints off US30.  I knew nothing about the historic downtown at all.  It was time to explore its Greenway and the paths along the Yellow River. 


I got into town at 10:39am via Queen Road/Lincoln Highway.  Plymouth is on Eastern Time so I lose an hour.  I walked around its courthouse, then discovered an interesting business a block away:  "Husband Exterminators."  Say what?  I looked up the name and it's a legitimate business alright.  But why chose such a dubious name?  Do frustrated wives call this place asking how to get rid of a snoring husband?  I'm sure if there was a business named "Wives Exterminators," women would call and file complaints about the misogynistic title.


There were a few other historic buildings, such as a restored Mobil gas station with the old Pegasus logo, a telephone booth, and a sheriff's car from Mayberry with "Security by Fife" plate in front.   The gas price is fixed at 27 cents.  That price goes back to the 1950s. 



It was 72F at 11:09am when I parked the Honda and started walking the "Hoosier Old Wheels Trail, a paved path through the woods and along the river at Centennial park..  Singletrack trails shoot off from this main trail, but all the trails were muddy from recent rains.  The thick forest of black and red oak provided ample shade with lots of bugs.   The shaded sections of this three-mile loop, half of which goes through a residential neighborhood, were very nice.  The exposed sections less so, as we could feel the humidity.



I use "MapMyWalk" to track all routes I take, so getting around Plymouth's streets was no issue.  The paved path was well-marked.  The shaded river part was broken up into three smaller sections, allowing Zeke some water to dip into.


https://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/3633649819

I used the app to walk around town, following signs along "Plymouth Greenway trails" along Wolf Creek and the Yellow River, around Centennial Park where most of the town's events are held.  I was able to see parts of Plymouth I could never have seen with my stepdad because he can't walk far in his frail health.  Even when he was younger and healthier, walking was never something he enjoyed.  Whenever he wanted to show me something about a town, it was always in a car at the posted speed limit.  Blink, and you'd miss the landmark. 

I went back into the town's old section where I walked around some more for another mile to the covered bridge near River Park Square.  I had walked 4.25 miles total for both walks.  I got to see the charm of Plymouth that I never knew existed.



I also came across a monument to memorialize the Potawatoni Trail of death outside of town.  Curious about this statue, I followed directional signs to it.  The monument honors Chief Menonimee.  It's shaded by large oak trees and therefore doesn't stand out.  The monument is off a rural farm road Peach Road across from a soybean field southwest of Plymouth.  It marks the beginning of the long relocation trail of the 859 Potawatoni people forced to move to Kansas in 1838.

I never knew that part of Indiana history.



No comments:

Post a Comment