Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Cowles Bog trail with Zeke


Today was our only 24-hour of sunny weather for the week.  The rain is back tomorrow for six days.  I took this opportunity to hike the Cowles Bog trail with Zeke.  It was on June 2, 2009 that I hiked it with Sadie, the last time I had a dog on this trail.  This trail is my favorite local hike since it's a diverse trail, offers some challenge, and is not as crowded as other hikes in the Dunes.  Dogs are allowed on the beach here.  The only drawback is that the trail borders on the NIPSCO power plant.

It was in the mid 70s today, a little breezier on the lakefront, and cooler and buggier in the forest.  I left Crown Point at 10am and got to the trailhead an hour later (only because I went the wrong way once near the lake).  The trail is only 26 miles away.

I parked in the southern parking lot off Mineral Springs Road but should have parked in the northern lot, as it's shadier.  The drawback to that is that the northern lot is also more crowded and fills up fast.  I ended up hiking 8.2 miles on a perimeter loop that should be no longer than 4.6 miles.  I turned this hike into a wildflower search, trying to photograph every species I could find.  The southern trailhead allows one to see a greater biodiversity, moving another half-mile from the lake to see Dune succession.  Every kid in northern Indiana public schools studies the dunes in high school.

The National Parks Service cut back invasive trees around the bog about eight years ago.  It's not as densely shaded as it once was, but the NPS is also trying to revitalize the bog and its ecosystem.  It looks like boardwalks will be installed going into the bog to better study the flora and fauna.

The southern trailhead starts out on a gravel road with no shade the first .8 miles.  Red and white clover dot the trail edge, along with yellow poppies and spiderworts.  Once in the forest, it was mostly yellow flowers and white blackberry flowers.



I hiked the western flank toward the beach, the less crowded trail.  The trail wasn't as muddy as expected, but we did have to fight off mosquitoes and biting flies.  Zeke enjoyed chasing squirrels once or twice and then settled down.



I was the only one on the beach.  Where was everyone?  The first warm day all month and the beach is empty?  The view was clear and I could see the Chicago skyline.  Zeke enjoyed the lakefront and went into the water, but was startled at the waves coming back at him.  I added another mile to the hike just walking as far west as I could on the beach, coming up to a breaker wall and the power plant.  There was plenty of trash here, including deflated balloons and sun-bleached plastic bottles.  I combed the beach for sandstones with holes in them.  I always end up picking up one.  Sometimes I find a water-polished crinoid (ancient marine plant).

I wore a corral-colored long-sleeved tee with no jacket.  I never was cold today, but I did get annoyed with the mosquitoes trying to bite what skin they could get to.  I rested in the shade on top of an old dune to give Zeke some time to cool off.  He was in the water keeping his paws cool, but that sun beat down on his dark fur.


Going back we took the eastern flank.  This had more bog water to keep cool.  The wetter ecosystem allowed ferns to grow.  The next time I hike this trail, I will start at the northern end and hike the eastern flank.  It's more scenic and you don't see the power plant until you are at the beach. I saw many more people going toward the beach now, even dogs.


We had hiked four hours all over the trails. I ended up going toward the northern parking lot and then walking the half-mile down Mineral Springs road to the southern parking lot.  This was a shorter exposure to the sun.  I could tell Zeke was tired.  This was his third day in a row hiking at least seven miles.




I was hungry and tired after this hike and wanted to try a local brewpub (of course!), but the one in Chesterton, the closest town, was closed today.  My next choice was Valparaiso. but the one I knew of was also closed today.  My choice then became a self-service "Pour House" (think taphouse but pour-your-own) where I sat outside for 90 minutes with Zeke, trying various beers in 4-ounce glasses.

Rain is due back tomorrow.  I will resume walking the Erie-Lakawanna trail after I get some gardening in. I won't walk the trail until mid afternoon, but then weather may end up dictating what and where I'll be.

No comments:

Post a Comment