Saturday, June 8, 2019

Day 6: Hennepin Canal State Trail; Destination Crown Point

Distance: 4.2 miles
Elevation: 459'-591'
Significance: Peaceful walk along an old towpath  that extends over 100 miles
https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/Parks/Pages/HennepinCanal.aspx
https://www.mapmyhike.com/workout/3800141605#

I got up to continue my drive as soon as it dawned.  My goal was to get to the Region with time to explore trails before getting to Carol's and then sitting the rest of the time with her.  I opted to stop at the first state park off I-80.

It didn't take long to find something.  I pulled off the interstate when I saw the "Historic Hennepin Canal State Trail" and I didn't even have to drive far from the interstate.  It was well-marked and easy to find and it was free to use!  I was the first car in the parking lot, although another car came in shortly after I did, which made me restless because the car parked and yet no one got out.  Was I being watched? It was 6am.

The Hennepin Canal  was completed in 1907 to connect the Illinois River with the Mississippi River.  Nearby railroads quickly bankrupted the canal.  It's now a State Trail and a gateway to the Great American Rail trail that will eventually be 4000 miles long and extend from coast to coast.  The section I was on  is a gravel railtrail that extends in either direction from the Visitor's Center.  Either direction looked scenic and I opted to walk the trail northwestward, crossing the canal on an ironwrought bridge and walking on the northern flank that took me under the interstate and quickly on exposed farmland with still-flooded corn fields visible. I was the only one on the trail and had Zeke off leash.

I wanted to walk two miles in one direction and then turn around, getting my daily four miles in early since I probably wouldn't get much more walking in once at Carol's.  The trail soon passed by some farm homes and I made that my turn-around point. This was all exposed and would have been hot later in the day.  Fish were jumping out of the water and frogs were leaping in the reeds. 

When I got near the Visitor's Center, I continued east for a bit but turned around when the trail got too spiderwebby and grassy.  This looked like perfect tick habitat.  The sun was coming up high enough to warm us both, so it was time to call it quits anyway. I only did a fraction of this trail and I'm sure there are other nice sections.  The part I walked was very pleasant.

I continued my drive east on I-80, stopping next in Joliet, IL.  I like that river town and remember it having a nice historic downtown.  But when I got into town, I was inconvenienced by road construction and detours and decided to just drive to the Region and grab a bite to eat there, where it surely would be cheaper.

And somehow I ended in Whiting, IN, a harbor town bordering Illinois.  I seldom went to Whiting when I lived in Hammond, but this time I had a reason: the Bulldog Brewing Company is now on Main Street and it became the first Indiana brewery on the South Shore Brewing Trail that I visited.  I plan on visiting as many breweries as I can while I am in the Region for the summer.

I walked in shortly after it officially opened at 11am.  I was the first patron.  Dogs aren't allowed so I parked in the shade and made it a quick visit.  The place is comfy. Only four beers were on tap plus two guest ciders.  I had the Downtime Wheat Ale (5.5% ABV/30 IBU) which was quite tasty.  The pint was only $5.  I finished that and left, planning to walk around Whiting some more to see how it's improved over the years.  Oil tanks and refineries line the shore here and the air stinks when the wind blows just right.  Whiting has always been home to working-class people but the improvements in its small historic downtown are noticeable. Having a decent brewery drew me into this town, but I don't think I would ever think of stopping here had it not been for the beer.

My last stop in Whiting was its beach.  I had heard about it but never went to it as it's too close to the steel mills and refineries.  Parking is not free here, either, and I didn't want to pay to just walk around.  The "beach" looked more like a rock trail. The boardwalk looked new.  There were benches and landscaped patches that made it look inviting.  The Chicago skyline also was impressive.  I normally see the skyline further away in Chesterton, but from Whiting one can see more detail in the buildings.

I found US41 and drove that through Hammond and Highland before connecting with US30 and driving on to Carol's by 2pm.  I was ready to rest and relax and chat and yet I still managed another 2.1 miles into town to mail off some bills of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment