Sunday, June 9, 2019

Day 7: Erie-Lakawanna trail


The Erie-Lakawanna trail (ELT) is named after the former railroad line by the same name which was abandoned by Conrail in 1984 and eventually converted into a 17.7-mile multiuse trail.  The ELT runs from Hammond near the state line with Illinois down to Crown Point, maintaining a generally northwest to southeast direction.  I first rode it with Kevin over 20 years ago.  The trail has been expanded in both directions since my first ride on it.

The ELT is the cycling jewel of Lake County, maintaining the status as longest trail in the county.  Shorter trails run off the ELT in west and east.  Jogging, cycling and dog walking are the primary activities.  The trail passes through downtowns, nature preserves, and industrial parks.  One write-up even mentions passing near six brewpubs!  Prairie and marsh grasses border the trail, with thick growth on both sides of the southern section.

Today was a wet, dreary day all day, with drizzle on and off.  The rain never bothered me as it was a constant, steady drizzle.  I took Zeke to the southern terminus of the ELT and walked the first two miles before turning around.  This first section starts at Summit street in Crown Point, with a 20-car parking lot, flush toilet and even bike repair station.  It is a clean, well-maintained trailhead parking lot. The trail then travels northwest along a golf course to the west and marsh and fields to the east, crosses a creek before it comes to the second parking lot off 93rd Street by the government complex.  This is a quiet section.

The cool, overcast skies today were ideal for walking this trail today.  I didn't have to worry about carrying water for Zeke since he could drink from puddles on the trail.   I went home to refresh, chat with Carol, and then went back out a second time four hours later to walk another six miles on the ELT.  It was still drizzling, but despite the rain, there were even more people out on the trail.  We even saw a snapping turtle, two deer, and several species of bird.  Spiderwort, daisies, fennel, red and white clover grow nearby.

I decided to walk as much of the ELT as I can while I am here this summer, taking little sections at a time and learning the many flowers growing along the trail.  This will be my way of getting reacquainted with my old neighborhood.   The many multi-use trails weren't around when I was growing up in the area.  I had to contend with potholed streets and careless drivers.  I may even have time to explore other railtrails nearby. Other worthwhile trails are the Prairie-Duneland trail in Chesterton and the Oak-Savannah trail in Hobart.  The Oak-Savannah trail is another new trail to the network that I want to explore.


The first five miles of the southern section of the ELT are rural, as the paved trail meanders through thick flora on either side of the path.  It's just you and the birds and trees around you. There are benches to relax on, but no water fountains on this stretch.  Surface is smooth asphalt. There is a solar-powered charging station at the Burr street crossing.

I met several groups of runners that used that first two-mile section as an out-and-back training run.

The rains of the last few months have saturated the soil along the ELT, making this a lush green walking/cycling experience.  I'm looking forward to walking the section through Highland, my girlhood town when my parents were still married.  I will make it that far north by Wednesday, if I walk to Griffith tomorrow.

I felt tired by the time I finished in the early evening.  Zeke looked even more tired.  Poor guy still acts confused about being here in Indiana.  He seems to miss his pack mates.  He follows me all over the house.  Carol compliments Zeke on how quiet he is, neither barking nor running around, but he's normally more animated.

(I will hopefully add the previous trip events to this blog as time permits)

No comments:

Post a Comment