Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Lehner Mammoth Kill site loop



I'm back to working days but all day today I kept thinking of doing another walk near the Lehner Mammoth kill site at 4pm.  A speeding USBP van raced east on Hereford road toward the river as I was on my way to the site, making me wonder if there was something going on in the area.  I quickly forgot about any danger though and began my walk at 4:07pm.  Skies were overcast and it was 62F with no wind; a lovely time for a walk.

I started from the Lehner parking area.  This time I even read the sign.  The site is named after the Land owner, Ed Lehner, who discovered mammoth, tapir, bison and horse bones in 1952.  He donated this parking lot  to the public.  The parking area is 150' above the San Pedro river, with an expansive view of the Huachuca mountains.  This would be an ideal location for sunrise/sunset photography..

The trail is a mowed dirt road along a property line.  The trail isn't marked here, but I knew that the trail went south to the home line and the Casa de San Pedro B&B.  This linear trail then turns east toward the river, and parallels E Waters Road, which dead ends at the B&B.

I had been to this part of the river several times.  One has to be cautious as visitors to the B&B walk here to look for birds.  I passed one man who seemed worried about my dogs and turned around.  All my dogs were worried about was getting into the water.  The river is at the halfway mark of this rectangular route I took today.  I could have left my camelbak at home as the dogs watered themselves. 

The river is narrow here and snags tend to get jammed up.  I noticed the B&B owner cleared the snags, but the water didn't look the best.  The banks were heavily eroded as well.  I've hiked back to the Hereford Road parking area from this location, but today I had to hike at a steady pace before sunset and only did the big rectangle.

There were no other people besides the elderly man with the binoculars.  From the river I then walked north along the bank until the riverpath rejoined the main trail for 1/4 mile.  I then came across a mowed section that Susan had mentioned yesterday and took that back west.

tbc

No comments:

Post a Comment