Monday, January 14, 2019

Another pretty sunrise hike; a walk along the river


This is my last sunrise hike as tomorrow I have an 8am dental appointment and on Wednesday I'm back to working days.  It was another lovely sunrise with all four dogs.

I started at 6:50am, the sun rose at 7:20am.  This time there was no precipitation in the air to cast a pastel hue over the horizon.  I also brought my better cellphone camera to capture the event.  We met the same USBP agent from a weeks ago, sitting in the same unmarked vehicle in the same spot on the north-south stretch of my route, scoping out the mountains to our west.  I even got to meet his dog, a pretty black and red German Shepherd Dog.  I wish now I had asked for its name.  The dog was non-aggressive toward my dogs as my dogs circled it to sniff it out, front and back.

Minnie was tired when I got home just before 9am.  I made some coffee and wanted to edit this blog when Susan texted me asking what time I wanted to get together with her for a hike along the river.  I had totally forgotten that we had wanted to get together today.  Minnie needed to rest and I kept Sweetie at home, so I snuck both Zeke and Sadie out the back door and drove down to the San Pedro river by the Hereford bridge.  Susan suggested hiking north for a stretch.

Sadie is normally grumpy around other dogs, but she seemed indifferent to Allie.  That's probably because both dogs were off leash.  Off-leash dogs are less aggressive toward each other.  Sadie stayed by my side while Zeke was more willing to hang out with Allie, although soon all three dogs were going their own way, yet stayed close to both Susan and me.

Susan noted that someone had cut down the tall grass in the area.  I speculated that it was a paid drug cartel member who lives nearby.  We were on a social trail, not an official trail, and the BLM does not have the tools here to mow down the grass along the river.  We saw cut blades and branches

We came across another cross erected by the Pilgrimage of Remembrance group.   These crosses are popping up all over the county now. It was just outside the treeline. This one depicted a woman's name, with the additional "Eight months pregnant."  Regardless of how people feel about illegals crossing our border, dying of dehydration is not a pretty sight.  The woman was most likely abandoned by her smuggler and she died suffering.

"I came to this country for a better life.  I did not come here for the hand-outs," Susan said, commenting on how many Americans accuse illegal immigrants of coming here for welfare, when all they really want is a steady job and a better life for themselves.

The river was flowing steadily.  There was evidence of recent flooding in some areas, as the tall grass was bent over northbound (downstream) along the banks.  The bank was also very muddy.  We saw some mallards, a couple of hawks again, but no other people.  Susan even pointed out a tunnel that a beaver dug to get to the river.  This tunnel was right off the trail and could easily trip someone walking here at night and inflict some serious body injury. We walked as far as the trail would take us safely, but turned around at the mile mark, making this a pleasant two-mile walk.

We will repeat this walk tomorrow at 10am, but this time hike south from the bridge and do a loop hike.  I will bring Minnie tomorrow for sure as she is my bonafide waterdog.

No comments:

Post a Comment