Thursday, January 24, 2019

Hiking along Carr Falls

The last time I hiked up the falls was years ago with Sara and Sammy (may they rest in peace).  It was past time I did it again.

Many people hike up the lower falls by rock hopping and pulling themselves up via the manzanitas that grow along the steep slope.  A narrow but well-trodden trail follows the falls on the southern flank.  I hiked up to the base of the middle falls the first and only time I did this.  This tired out the dogs as it did me, but it was a nice physical challenge. Unfortunately, this is also party central in the summer time, and a popular smuggling route at night due to the water.

I got started late in the morning once I knew I wasn't getting called in today.  I took just Zeke.  If  there were any Thursday Carr Canyon Road hikers, they were gone as I did not recognize any vehicles parked along the road when I started my hike at 11:26am

One can climb up the rocks along the falls when it's dry, but the water had iced over, making climbing up the rocks rather treacherous.  This is why I stayed on the southern side of the falls (left side), to avoid any slippage.  However, as I neared the base of the falls the rocks became steeper and created small cliffs, forcing me to go even farther south than intended, getting me away from the falls entirely.  I now felt like a smuggler, pulling myself up dense vegetation while keeping an eye out for Zeke.

The half-mile hike took me an hour.  When I started noticing beer cans on the ground, I knew I was close to the road.  I came out across from the rock retaining wall.  I must say I was relieved to be on flat ground again.  I don't think I'll be doing this climb again!  I may actually be getting too old to be doing these kinds of physical challenges.

I took Zeke to the falls for water, rested there a bit, and then walked back via the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment