Thursday, January 3, 2019

Lane Springs Recreation Area near Rolla, Missouri

I left Crown Point, IN shortly after 9am on January 2nd after picking up medications for my stepmom at the local Walgreen's.  I promised her I'd be back in June for six weeks to help care for her.  She seemed genuinely looking forward to that.

Roads were clear across Illinois.  Illinois is a pretty state to hike around in, but less so in the winter.  Most trails are historic rail-trails in northern Illinois, or in state parks, but there is nothing close off the route of travel.  Winter winds across Illinois can be unforgiving, but this time it was just the cold that made the 320 miles to St Louis miserable.  I stopped a few times at Illinois rest stops just to get out and walk a bit.

I made it to Rolla, MO at 8pm.  I was ready for a break.  The town off Route 66 was already closed except for the bars and diners, but my interest was finding the Public House Brewpub and finding a cheap hotel for the night; I had no interest in carcamping at 25F.

The Public House Brewpub is quite impressive.  It wasn't very busy for a Wednesday night, perhaps because it's still Christmas break for schools across the country. (The University of Science and Technology is in rolla.) The building is large (it seems all the Missouri brewpubs I have visited over the years are large!), with a second floor loft looking down on diners below.  A small stage in one corner indicates live music events, but it was quiet on my visit.  I sat at the bar and ordered my favorite beer: Hefeweizen. This one's called Hide and Seek Hefeweizen, with a pleasant 4.9% ABV/ 14% IBU.  Then I tried a their seasonal Giddy Goat Coffee Milk stout which was also very pleasant, with a smooth 5.5% ABV and 25% IBU.  Two youngish mean near me at the bar were debating the merits of Apple iPhones and I listened intently without interrupting.  Why are so many people fascinated with such overpriced gadgetry?  Another group of women sat at a table near the front window, quietly discussing their issues.  The entire experience was positive and I would come back.

I walked the small historic downtown a bit just to get my 4-mile quota in (I didn't quite make it). The Alltrails app that I use on road trips indicated several urban trails in town, but they weren't well-lighted and I was tired.  I got a room at the Rustic Motel off US63 on Rolla's south side, close to the Lane Springs Recreation Area that I planned to explore in the morning. The elderly Indian man who welcomed me at night also welcomed me in the morning. The room was comfortable and I spent the waning hours of lucidity browsing the internet via the hotel wifi.

The Lane Springs Recreation area was closed for the season, but I wondered if the closure was also due to the "partial government shutdown" now in its 14th day.  None of the websites describing the trails indicated that this was in a National Forest Service fee area. I parked at the gate/pit toilet and walked down into the area. The two short trails, the Blossom Rock and the Cedar Bluff trail, combined only add up to 2.7 miles, but the walk down the paved road and back, and walking between the two trailheads got the total up to 4.9 miles.  The additional mileage made this combined hike worthwhile.  Day use fee is $2 to park, $8 to camp.  A wide grassy field and two pavilions invite users to stay. Trout fishing is also allowed.

The Lane Springs Recreation Area is within the greater Ozark Mountains. (To me the Ozarks are hills!). The foliage here is mixed deciduous and conifer, with various maples, black oak, hemlock, dogwood interspersed throughout. These are trees not found in southern Arizona. I'm sure this area is a visual delight during autumn's leaf colors.  On this morning, however, I was more interested in maintaining a brisk step to stay warm in the freezing, below 30F temperatures.

The walk was very meditative.  I heard hawks shriek.  I saw white-tailed deer scamper off. The creek gurgled. I spotted a bald eagle perched in a tree along Piney Creek.  Only the traffic off US63 while hiking the Blossom Rock trail reminded me that humans were nearby. There was no trash, no indication that humans had recently been through here.  Small branches and twigs littered the pavement, so perhaps this place was indeed closed for the season in November and I was trespassing.

I walked the Blossom Rock trail first.  The trailhead is just before entering the camp ground by the creek.  The significant aim of this 1.2-mile trail up a hill and around is the rather odd rock formation near the hilltop.  This must be a climbing delight on warmer days. A thick layer of leaves covered much of the trail, and it's not blazed in any way.  The leaves were wet and made following the trail difficult.  The lack of any human activity on the trail made it even more difficult to follow, as there were no signs of leaf compression or footprints.


From the Blossom Rock trail I walked the length of the recreation area to the other trail, Cedar Bluff.  This trail begins near the creek and is muddier than the Blossom Rock trail.  Elevation begins at the half-mile mark, where the trail then climbs up a bluff with a partial overlook of the Ozarks.


Elevation in this area ranged from 881' at the gate down to 676' at Piney Creek.  I was back at the Honda in 1:46 hours and felt invigorated.

I like Rolla and will stop in again on my next drive through Missouri.  The town is just under 20,000 people, in gently rolling hill country, with plenty amenities.  Any town with its own brewpub and nearby trails is worthy of a visit!





No comments:

Post a Comment