Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018

I'm so glad I don't have to drive anywhere for the holiday.  I hate flying this time of year, especially when it's cold and the visit is just a few days.  The Northeast is getting hit with another cold blast.

This was a stay home year for both Kevin and me.  Weather was pleasant, in the mid 60s, and I took all four dogs on a 4-mile ramble around Hunter Canyon, starting across the road from the parking area and taking the unmarked trail.  Two other cars were also in the area and one returning mountain biker alerted me that there were two other cyclists on the trail.  I opted then to walk the parallel wash instead, to keep bikes and dogs separate and safe.

The sky was a light grey, with darker clouds coming from Mexico.  No rain was predicted, but the cloud cover added some warmth.  It was perfect weather for hiking!  Even Minnie, who easily pants when it gets too hot, did fine.  We hiked to Kelly Springs, let the dogs drink from the turkey bar, then took another wash back, diverting then to an old ATV trail that got us on the Hunter Cyn Road.  This was the same route I took the dogs on two weeks ago.  Using the deep washes allows the bikes to coast downhill and this way the bikes don't bother us.

An hour later we had a nice chicken meal that Kevin prepared.  I helped with the potatoes and the cleaning up.  We sat outside and chatted.  We have a few things to be thankful for, and it helped for Kevin and I to talk about it. We are both healthy, although Kevin's visible physical weakness does concern me, we have a decent income, our grown children are all doing well, and we live in an area that isn't too expensive.

The official full moon rise at 5:20pm was shrouded by the clouds.  The moon wasn't visible for another 30 minutes, when Zeke and I did another 2-mile loop around the hood.  The area was quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment