Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Caravans of illegals heading toward the US-Mexican border



I had two pleasant morning walks with the dogs yesterday and today.  Today was noticeably warmer due to the cloud cover. I got to see the sun rise with its brilliant colors.  What a great way to start the day.  The sun rises at 6:34 now, and that doesn't give me much time before I have to get ready for school.

News of thousands of Honduran, Guatemalan and Salvadoran refugees heading toward the US border with Mexico to demand asylum has been making the news for the past month.    These caravans are an annual event, but this year it's become politicized.  They are invading our country!  They are a national  security threat because there are criminals among them!   That is what the White House is saying. KGUN9  and KVOA out of Tuscon reported last night that the first caravan of around 700 people reached Agua Prieta, Sonora, just south of the Arizona border town of Douglas on Monday.  Cochise County Sheriff also said his deputies are on stand-by should the situation get out of hand like it has in Tijuana.
https://kvoa.com/news/2018/11/19/some-members-of-the-migrant-caravan-arrive-in-agua-prieta/


So this morning, when I spotted an unmarked US Border Patrol van parked along the dirt road I walk on with the dogs, I immediately thought "Oh shit, there are  illegals nearby!"  I've never seen the USBP park off the dirt road here.  I've seen USBP agents ride the trails in the late afternoon on ATVs but never in full-sized unmarked Ford pick-ups with caps on the back for the canine crew.  The agent was face down, perhaps napping, but was instead looking down at his scope for traffic in the mountains to his west.

I continued on with the 3-mile loop walk, but when the agent was still there 30 minutes later on my return walk, I stopped by to chat. I wanted to know if I (and everyone else living nearby) should be concerned about these migrants breaking across the border.  Agent Lindsey, who got out of his truck to talk to me and who was very polite, said I should not be concerned.  "Anyone who jumps the fence will be picked up by us right away."  He expects the migrants instead to flood the legal ports of entry along the border.    Despite what the media may be saying right now, illegal border crossers here have slowed down from its zenith in 2010, Lindsey said.  The New York Times, however, reported the opposite: in September there were 16,000 people apprehended by USBP.  A month later it surged to over 30,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment