Saturday, November 3, 2018

Garden Canyon (Fort Huachuca)


I had a hard time getting motivated this morning.  Yesterday's classes with the ED kids, especially the afternoon sessions, was especially tough on my emotions.  I knew I had to get going and at least hike a few miles, and finally got myself up and going in the early afternoon.  I took Zeke and Minnie and headed to Garden canyon on post.  I hadn't been there all year and wanted to see the fall foliage.  Other hikers had posted pictures of the colors on their Facebook pages and I wanted to see it for myself.  The road into the canyon is open again to vehicular traffic and my Honda made it despite two deep ruts in the road.


Apparently, so did the entire hiking population of the Greater Sierra Vista area.  The road was packed with hikers, dog walkers, cyclists, hunters and not an open spot could be found to park.  I drove four miles, all the way to the upper canyon area, where once a cabin stood, and parked there.  I normally park by the gate in a side canyon and walk the road to the end, a ten-mile o/b hike. I couldn't do that today with all the cars and foot traffic.

I led the dogs to the conglomerate basin just up the road, keeping the dogs in the shade of the tall pines.  I wanted to keep them away from other dogs and their people.

The basin had some water in it from the storms last month, but the water was looking stagnant.  Minnie went into it anyway to cool off.  I followed the water downstream so that she could stay cooled.  Thick, lush grass hid most of the water so I had to watch my step.  The drainage came out at the Sawmill trail where a few pick-ups were parked.



To continue my hike, I took the half-mile "Vanished Trail" which climbed up the hillside and ended at what looks to be an old backpacker's camping area.  I went into the juniper/pinon pine forest and then descended into a dry, rocky creekbed which then ended at the road again.  I came across what looked like a long-abandoned trail, grown over by trees but with the grade of the trail still visible.

This entire hike was just 1.8 miles!  Heading downhill to where the petroglyphs are was just another half mile, but I didn't stay long because a family with three young children was approaching.

The best scenes along this route are along the creekbed, where maples, sycamores and ash grow.  The light was just right for a colorful effect.  Most hikers I saw stayed on the road for photographs, but the best shots are under the trees looking up to the sky.


Minnie enjoyed the cool shade and both dogs enjoyed the water.  Minnie held up well, too, despite the day's warm temperatures.  I hiked with her in mind, staying close to water and shade.  I enjoyed the effect as well.

Traffic seemed to increase now.  Other dog walkers came to experience the fall colors.  I had to stay away from them all and decided that 2.6 miles among the "crowd" was enough.  I walked up the road back to the Honda, and after a short rest in the car watching a three-generational family enjoy the fall colors, drove back home.  It was all the hiking I did today.  I just didn't have the energy for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment