Sunday, November 4, 2018

Brown Canyon Falls 2

I had to see Brown canyon before the fall colors fade.  I didn't get to go last Thursday as hoped, and Sunday proved to be my last chance.  It was a wise decision.  I needed to get out and hike, but also didn't want to do a strenuous hike.

This time I asked if SteveT were interested in going with me since he's never been in the box canyon area.  It's lush there any time of year and few people go here.  We met at noon at the Brown canyon ranch house.  There were plenty of other cars and people in the parking area, and one of the people was Robert, who was chatting with Steve from his pick-up.  I invited him to come along, but he said he wasn't dressed to hike.

It was another busy time in the canyon.  Plenty of other dog walkers, cyclists and hikers were  here.  We kept Zeke and Trace on leashes until we got into the Wilderness part.  Here we passed no one until the return hike.  Water was flowing less from last time, but the area around it was still lush green.  And indeed the red maples had reached their prime.  The best place for color shots is just upcanyon 50' from the water trough, or two miles from the ranch house, right where the canyon narrows. with rocky sides on either side. I managed a few shots with the sunlight gaping through. 


Both dogs were now off leash. Zeke stayed by my side but Trace enjoyed flying over rocks and boulders to explore higher up.  He probably smelled birds in the area (wild turkeys live near the falls) That dog has the energy that Zeke had at that age. 

No one bothered us here.  It was just us two under the tall canopy of shade trees.  Even Steve thought this was a nice area to contemplate life.


We didn't hike up to the water pool.  We sat on a large boulder, had some snacks, and then continued uphill another .4 mile to the overlook.  This is the same area I took Bill and Galen ten days ago.  Steve made it up to the overlook, but stayed away from any ledge, so again we sat on a big rock off the trail to enjoy the view.  The orange color from ten days ago had faded to brown and there were less dramatic hues.  It was still nice to be up here where no one bothered us.

The return hike was easy.  We didn't stop to rest, but I did stop briefly a few times to talk to other hikers who were now out in full force.  There were three women at the trough resting when we came out of the wilderness.  Two of them were a mother-daughter team.  The older woman was born in France. Then I met Buena High School's librarian.   She was wearing a blue t-shirt with "I know I hike like a Girl.  Try to keep up."  The dogs were thankfully on leashes now as there were plenty of dog walkers coming in the opposite direction, and cyclists coming from behind.  Everybody was out wanting to enjoy the fall foliage.

Steve and I then visited the Taphouse again.  I had a White Chocolate Ale and then a Blueberry Wheat.  We sat there for nearly two hours before leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment