Saturday, July 14, 2018

Taos: Wheeler and Walker Peak


We did it!

When I first got up to let the dogs out to pee, Sadie refused to get out.  She looked exhausted.  Then at the trailhead parking above the ski resort, she just wanted to nap.  Was I going to cancel this hike?  I sat in the truck watching her, as the parking lot slowly filled up with day hikers wanting to bag the peak. I got a text message from Eric saying he arrived at his deployment site.

At 9am we finally were on our way.  It took just over six hours.  We hiked to Williams Lake first and then hit the peak.  Since Walker Peak is on the same ridgeline, I did that one as well.

Skies were overcast and clouds did darken.  It rained to the north and west and it only drizzled on us as we approached the cars again.  The peak was calm with little wind.

This is a busy trail, both to the peak and the lake.  The lake is low on water but there's enough there for animals.  Tenters were around the lake. Lots of dogs, too.  On the peak I met a medical school student from Florida, Akton, and shortly after that, a family of five from Lubbock arrived, the a couple from Albuquerque with their little shetland sheepdog. There were many more hikers still starting their hike to the lake in the afternoon.

The dogs and I were tired.  I just wanted to nap in the truck before driving back to the resort area.  They slept the rest of the day.  I grabbed a slice of pizza from the Pizza Shack and ended up camping there in the parking lot with several others.  The place was quiet by 10pm.

Tomorrow will be a down day with minimal hiking.  More rain is due Sunday and Monday.  Two more things I want to see is the Taos Pueblo and perhaps that trail near Questo that takes one down to the Rio Grande.  By Tuesday I'll be heading back south.

No comments:

Post a Comment