Friday, July 13, 2018

Taos: West Rim Trail

The big storm for Taos and especially the peaks was predicted for late this morning. I therefore did not plan any high-elevation hiking.  Flash floods were predicted for the foothills so I stayed out of the canyons as well.

Instead, I stayed local and hiked the West Rim Trail, a 9-mile N <->S trail along the west side of the Rio Grande Gorge.  The river is 800 feet below. The trail head is at the rest stop just west of the Gorge Bridge.  The land here is managed by the Bureau of Land Management and is free for hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers.  RVs and campers are allowed one overnight stay (24 hours). This trail is completely exposed and best done early in the morning, under intense cloud cover, or in the winter.  The exposure even affected me.

We made it to the 1.85-mile mark, where the gorge is then intercepted by an east-flowing smaller gorge.  The trail continues away from the gorge and travels south a total of nine miles to the Dead Cholla trail.  I opted to turn around here instead, as the dogs were getting heated.  I stopped twice for two water breaks for them, by small juniper shrubs just off the rim.

I took my time.  There was no rush.  The four miles took us two hours.  What started out as a cloudy vista over the mountains became a storm watch, as the clouds slowly became darker.  It began rumbling by 10:30am.  By 11:30am it was storming over the peaks.  Vendors who had their crafts on display began wrapping up and packing their goods in their vehicles.  I sat in the truck with two tired dogs as the clouds and then lightning moved overhead.  It rained to the north, west and south of us but never overhead.

The rest stop slowly emptied of its cars.  I overhead other travelers stopping to watch the storm move overhead.  That storm stayed over the mountains and I'm glad I wasn't in it this time as lightning flashed over the peaks.   It was a lazy day for us compared to the first few days here.

I finally drove off as well, back into town for one more night.  At 3pm I went ito the Taos Mesa Brewpub near the airport, their main store.  They have live music every night, a spacious interior, a large, covered patio and an outdoor stage.   I took the dogs out on the patio and struck up a conversation with a local, Gabriel, who hails from Mexico City.  Sadie was exhauted but Zeke loved all the attention.  Sadie only came to life when other dogs entered the premise.

I'm going to try Wheeler peak in the morning, just before sunrise.  If I can make it to the peak in seven hours and back, it will be a victory.  I'll be watching Sadie, as she seemed very tired today.

I camped for the night at the Lower Hondo campground off NM150, the first of three campgrounds as one drives up toward Taos Ski Valley.  The creek was rushing but far enough from me not to concern me.  I slept good.

I need to start planning my return drive to Arizona, taking the backroads. My truck has been running fine, but the engine does sound louder and whinier than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment