Thursday, July 12, 2018

Taos Ski Valley: Gavilan Trail to Gold Hill (7 miles, 11,575')

The following are just notes. I'll fill this in when I have more time.

Made it to the Gavilan trailhead two miles from the Taos Ski Valley resort town.  The off-road trailhead parking was full.  I must have been the last one to start this trail.  I knew rain was forecasted and that we'd face potential rain.

The trail is very steep.  It took me 1:27 hours to hike two miles,  After that, I was able to do better, but by now the clouds were getting darker.  A meadow with beautiful wildflowers came at the two-mile mark.  Zeke was fascinated with the chirping picas.


 went toward Gold Hill but turned around at the saddle, as it was thundering above us.  It began as I reached the ridgeline with the Gavilan/Lobo Peak trail.  It started as a drizzle, then got intense that last mile.  We were three very wet animals.  I was the last truck at the trailhead.

Zeke looked miserable and very exhausted.  I was able to change into some dry clothes, but never got rid of the chills until I made it back to Taos 24 miles in the valley.So much for getting aclimated to high elevation.

More rain is due tomorrow.  I'm willing to wait out one or two days but must start thinking f heading back to Arizona.



No comments:

Post a Comment