Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Walking up the road to the Middle Falls

"Where's Sadie?" asked Kevin as we shared some coffee in the kitchen before he left for work. She was still lying on the floor in the bedroom, too tired and sore from last night's hike to run out for her daily morning treat. I was sore, too, especially my ankles. I felt like Sammy again and very stiff.

I was still determined to join Nina and her group for a morning walk up the road to the Falls, something I haven't done for a few months due to the heat and work schedule. I didn't get called in so I left at 8:20am to join the others who had already started the walk at 8am. Eric from yesterday pulled up at the same time as I did, and together we had a slow walk up the road. Maybe it's time for me to cut back on those long hikes, as I can't seem to get rid of the pain, although it does subside during the day.

The weather report said it was 75F with 38% humidity at 8am, and it felt hotter than that. The sky was mostly clear. I took Zeke and Minnie along and both enjoyed their romp, although I worried about being scolded by Ranger Rick again, but no vehicles came along the road. The yellow and purple flowers along the road were especially fragrant this morning.

Two other hikers, Holly O and Steve were walking back down. They don't sit up there for long as they have busy schedules. Nina and Holly W were still at the falls and we joined them for another 30 minutes while the dogs cooled off in the water.

Just as we were ready to go on the return walk back down the road, we heard a large vehicle pull up. it was Robert, who didn't realize that the start time for the walk was 8am. He thought it was 10am. So we chatted some more before the five of us walked down the road together and then had a lunch at Papa's Diner, to celebrate Robert's temporary return to Sierra Vista. He'll be here six weeks before he RVs back to his home state of West Virginia in November. His son is joining the US Army and he wants to spend some time with him before he heads out to basic training.

I dropped the dogs off at home, both who were grateful to be in a cool house with a large bucket of water to drink from. I drove back to the restaurant to spend more time with the hikers. It was a warm day for the dogs and they all lounged around until Kevin came home at 5pm. The heat here is getting to them all.

This was my fourth day in the row for a hike. I may take tomorrow off if I continue to be sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment