Sunday, September 20, 2015

A hikeless weekend

A hikeless weekend doesn't mean that I didn't go out. I just didn't go far this weekend. It rained Friday as I drove home from work, it rained on and off all day yesterday, but today was rainless but humid. I stayed local and walked the dogs both days. I've been fighting severe back aches now in the mornings and it's taken me a while to get rid of the pain. I dread what the pain must feel like when I'm in my 60s.

Sammy has his good days and his bad days. He walked several times with the pack around the Oaks Estates this week, but yesterday he drove along for the ride and then stayed inside the truck while the rest of us powerwalked the 1.4-mile loop. There were some nice sunset colors. Today I kept him at home to relax and I took the three dogs up Hunter canyon for the 2.7-mile loop, a perfect after-work hike in the afternoon.

I think Sammy is the one who has been peeing by the front door, and relieving himself on the carpet in the living room. It's now a daily occurrence to clean up. The carpet is completely ruined and needs to go. I give him his glucosamine 2-3 times a day to help relieve his pain. He's so stiff now and lays around in the hallway or near the backporch patio door. He still has his appetite and his will. But I know he won't have it forever. He's still part of the pack and wants to be a part of the pack, even when Zeke annoys the crap out of him at times. He's such a gentle soul.

It was in Hunter Canyon that a woman around my age stopped me in her white van to tell me she appreciates seeing other hikers coming out to walk their dogs off-leash. She lives in Stump canyon, the canyon south of Hunter, and has been here for 34 years. I told her to join us for a Meetup hike with the dogs. "I've seen all kinds of things in this canyon Inge told me. "I've seen five dead dogs here over the years. One was shot in the side, a few were buried and a few were probably strays." (Those strays most likely were dumped dogs)

We are expecting a big rain storm by tomorrow night. A tropical depression is moving over central-southern Arizona. Up to five inches are expected. I hope this is the start of the El Nino for us. California and the western states could use a downpouring, too, to get rid of their killer fires.

No comments:

Post a Comment