Sunday, October 4, 2015

Exploring the Dragoons and Council Rocks

Today's hike was more of an exploratory hike to Council rocks and the trail head to Cochise Stronghold West, a beautiful hike that isn't easy to get to because of the ten-mile dirt road that gets you to the western trail head. This dirt road can experience severe erosion because it follows a creek in the last two miles and goes through that creek four times. I want to lead this hike in the future and wanted to make sure the road is passable to the trail head. (It is, with high clearance vehicles)
I took Sadie, Minnie and Zeke on this walk. It was a warm Sunday afternoon. My first stop was Council Rocks were Cochise allegedly met with General Howard to discuss the fate of the Apaches who lived in these hills. Looking around these rocks I can understand why Cochise felt this was his home and wanted to defend it. I always feel so humbled when I come here. I parked 1.5 mile away from Council Rocks and bushwhacked through the grass before finding the overgrown trail that took us to the rocks. There is actually a closer route that takes one to the parking area just below the rocks, but I didn't want to be that lazy today. The dogs and I needed our exercise.
I kept my eyes to the ground to make sure no snakes were hiding. I hadn't been here in years and was going on my fading memory to find the trail. There were campers in the area but no other hikers. I had to be extra vigilant because I didn't bring any leashes this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment