Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Carr Canyon through the falls

Yesterday all day we had lingering rain. I quite enjoyed it, as we need the rain. The cooler temperatures reminded me of autumn in Indiana or summer in Germany. No deaths came as a result in the county, but Tucson was hit hard and Phoenix barely got any rain. Our backyard flooded for a while but as usual the water quickly drained through.

I received some dog accessories from Amazon. One item was a doggie raincoat, size XL, that Minnie ended up modeling for me. The rain never bothers her. The coat fits her well. Now I won't need to worry about getting any of the dogs wet on a long hike.
Kevin and I ate our dinner at Vinny's in Sierra Vista. Vinny's hosts a lot of fundraisers for children and students. Yesterday it was for the Buena High School Girls' Basketball team. We were there from 5-6:30pm. When we got home I knew I was short on daylight, but took Sadie, Minnie and Zeke down to TheOaks for a quick 1.4-mile loop. Minnie sported her new glowlight collar as I struggled to maintain some vision. A USBP van was parked along the southern street but the agent was so busy looking at his laptop inside the vehicle that he probably didn't notice me. The dogs didn't bark, either. Apparently this is still a popular illegal border crossing area as the people come down from Hunter Canyon.

Today the weather was much calmer although rain was still in the forecast from Tropical Depression E-16. We had grey skies but it never rained. The sun even poked out by 11am and I knew that I needed to take this opportunity to take the dogs out for a hike. I opted to stay close and explore Carr Canyon Road.

I parked at the bridge by the Lower Falls. I had Zeke, Minnie and Sadie. All three dogs were outside with me and I was by the truck adjusting my new daypack. Just my luck that Ranger Rick from the Coronado National Forest was driving by, stopped and reminded me that I had to have the dogs on leash. With other people parked nearby, that was a no-brainer but my pack's snaps were hard to adjust and I was spending too much time outside the truck trying to adjust the fit. I finally gave up and opted instead to drive up the road another two miles and hike up from the middle falls. It was 1:15pm.

MORE LATER

No comments:

Post a Comment