Saturday, March 2, 2013

Maha and Numa

Two weeks ago, just before the shelter closed on a Saturday in late February, a woman came in with a mother cat and one surviving kitten. She needed to get rid of the cat, she said, because her daughter is pregnant and her dogs are mean to the cat. The mother cat most likely lost her other kittens to the family dog but the woman wouldn't say. The woman clearly wanted to get rid of the cats.

Since it was just before closing time and the kitten too young to be unsupervised, I decided to take the duo home. I named the mother Maha and the daughter Numa, Arabic names for "Wild cow" and "Happiness." Since the mother cat's fur is like that of a white and black-spotted cow, the name fits, but she's clearly an affectionate cat.

While I worried about the survival of Numa, I fear no more. Two weeks later and she's now climbing the door of her carrier. The dogs leave the pair alone. I let Maha out for exercise every day for a bit, and she always goes after the other cats. I'm assuming she's in a protective stance since she is still nursing Numa. Even Pache, our bully resident cat, runs away from her! That's a first.

I will keep this pair until Numa is weaned. At three months she will be old enough to get spayed and given her first shots. Then both will return to the shelter to get adopted. Her photo is all over the shelter's Facebook page, and a photo of her and Maha have so far reaped in "most votes."

Numa is now responsive to my voice. She wants to be held and will meow for attention. She will make a great pet for a cat lover. I'd like to see Maha and Numa go out together as they are sweet to watch. But with kitten and puppy season coming soon, that may be difficult. I've grown attached to these two and don't want to see them languishing in a shelter.

1 comment:

  1. Maha and Numa were adopted out together to a retired couple in Whetstone three weeks ago. I couldn't have picked a better couple! They have the run of the house and don't have to fear any dogs. Maha will thrive in this environment.

    ReplyDelete