Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hidden Canyon off Juniper Flats near Bisbee

What lovely weather we had today. I was in no mood to sit inside and study, so by 1pm I drove to Bisbee with Sadie and Minnie. Sara wanted to come along as well, but I forbade her from coming because I know she wouldn't be able to go far. She jumped into the back of the truck anyway (much to my surprise!) and I accidentally closed the back door on her back. I hope I didn't hurt her. She didn't want to go back to the yard, either, which told me she's been patiently wanting to go for a walk in a while.

If only Kevin or Eric could help me walk these dogs...

We drove up to Juniper Flats by 1:30pm. I had thought about going down to the Sandy Bob Canyon. Instead I took them on a rockier rock scramble down an unknown canyon downhill from the first creek bed. I had gone this way before years ago with Kevin, where we hiked as far down the narrow rock canyon until we were hit by rock walls on either side and had no choice but to turn around.

There was enough flowing water in this creek to keep the dogs refreshed. Minnie especially was drawn to the water, where she saw rocks and sticks she just had to retrieve.

There was still snow on the northern and shaded parts of this canyon.

I proceeded down the rocks carefully because I had a bulky camera strapped around my neck and a heavy backpack. The last thing I needed was a fall and twisting or breaking an ankle. No one would have found me here as this is a serious rock scramble down slick and wet rocks.

I enjoyed the solitude as the dogs entertained themselves. When we reached the dead-end narrow rock section, I turned around and hiked up the northern slope and away from the canyon. There was still time to explore this area, so little used yet so close to civilization. From the high point here I can see both the Huachucas and the Dragoons, Sierra Vista and Tombstone. There was rain to the north and northwest as the blue sky gave way to overcast.

It was nice being back here. I hadn't done this canyon in several years, and the last time I made it to the narrow slot I was with Kevin. Was it 2005? 2006? Sara and Sammy were young then and today they are too arthritic to do this hike.

The wind was getting stronger and colder as I walked around the rock slabs. It was getting late and I didn't want to be out on the trail should it rain again. I walked back with the dogs on the trail and drove into Old Bisbee. A beer at the Old Bisbee Brewery sounded great but once there I was ignored. Was it because I had the two dogs with me? Dogs are allowed in the outdoor patio and I saw another dog there, but I got no service and left. I put the two tired dogs in the truck and tried again, this time hitting the bar, but a large party in the outdoor area took all the server's attention and this time I left for real.

I was a bit bummed about being ignored by the OBBC staff and meandered around Brewery Gulch. I meandered down a back alley that took me to the rear of the King's Hotel, an old building with five hotel rooms and a separate two-room apartment for rent ($550/month) that was also home to a 28-year-old calico cat that was sleeping on an old divan.


No comments:

Post a Comment