Monday, December 20, 2010

Down by the river

I took a truck load of paper recyclables to the Bisbee refuge center late this morning. The dogs had been watching me and knew I was going somewhere. They colaborated with one another and then stormed the front door at the first chance. They were determined to go with me and made their wish known to me. Since they weren't walked yesterday and today's probably their last walk for a while, I caved in and let them come with me on the 22-mile ride across the beautiful San Pedro Valley, despite knowing they would slow me down.

I will always love the view. San Jose peak south of Naco, Sonora is such a prominent landmark, and looking at it always reminds me of what I am missing: those care-free days when a day trip into Mexico was a fun-filled exploration of people, flora and fauna. With the drugwars among the cartels hitting the northern borderlands hard, that part of the world is no longer safe.

The dogs were anxious to get out of the vehicle and got restless as we crossed the river, their known spot to run and romp along the river. I had to get to Bisbee first and drop the paper goods off first, then drove back to the river for some fun, and my soothing voice did not calm them much.

My trip at the recycling depot was as short as possible so that I could put the dogs at ease.

Even Sara was like a puppy again once we were back at the river on the return trip. All three frolicked in the water. Sadie was high-energy and chased the other two. All three sniffed, rolled around in, splashed around in and generally had a blast for the one-mile walk along the river. I hadn't taken the dogs here in a long time; it was nice to be back here again along a pretty birding site.

A hawk couple circled overhead. A few other birds chirped and gawked. A snowy egret was waiting for a snack along the river.

Recent beaver activity was evident along the river. I simply enjoyed watching the dogs play.

It was a little windy and dusty today but mild enough to walk around in a t-shirt. The storm that's pounding central and southern CA will hit us in a few days, but by then I'll be freezing in Indiana.

My trip to Bisbee and back along the river and home again took me two hours. It was the fastest two hours of fun for the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment