Saturday, December 11, 2010

Our annual hiking club picnic

Today was our annual hike along the San Pedro River. Weather couldn't be any nicer, topping near 70F with sunshine while the Upper Midwest, including Chicagoland, was blanketed with 20 inches of snow from a storm that started in the Pacific Northwest on Friday.

Too bad I soon developed a headache after waking up, a headache behind my eyes that felt like an optical migraine in the works. I quickly t

ook two aspirins and the headache didn't develop into anything more serious, but on my drive to the old Fairbank historic site along the river east of Whetstone, I worried about what seems to be an increase in my mini-migraines. This was my fourth one in two weeks. (None have developed into any debilitating pains but are still a nuisance.)

I was so preoccupied with my headache that I did not notice the intersection of Highways 90 and 82 where I had to take a right (east) turn. I didn't even notice anything was wrong until I ended up waiting in line at the Border Patrol checkpoint north of Whetstone. That delay caused me to be 13 minutes late. People who had gathered at 9am promptly left on time for the scheduled 9am hike, just as in years past.

I was able to get caught up with everyone, though, as Sadie and I powerwalked the mile it took me to find the first four of the group: Eric, Marlene and Andrea. The others, Susan and Peter, Little Steve, Paul, Rod and Cassie, Gordon and his nephew whose name I never got were waiting for us at a shady bench. Carol and Cliff were also there, but they turned around at this point to return to the picnic area.

The dead grass and naked mesquites around me all looked dull. The entire landscape consisted of hues of brown, tans and khaki.

A southbound low-flying two-seater plane was today's curiosity. "That's a drug plane returning to Mexico" said I. No one disagreed.

Most of the group turned around at 10:30am. I wasn't ready to go back yet and went with Eric and the gals and Rod another mile to the old Presidio/Chapel location on the west side of the river. There's not much there but historical markers. Marlene and Andrea found some shards and I took a few photos of the crumbling adobe walls. The river has eroded so much of the hillside that it's hard to imagine how the presidio must have looked in its heyday.

Crossing the river took some skill as it was deep enough to get the shoes wet. We crossed back over at 11:15am, with me in the lead. The others lingered longer so I just went on at 11:30am and made it back to the picnic area at 12:13pm as everyone was already gathered and eating chicken. This routine is rather comical to watch: several older members don't come to any functions all year except for this one, and then just to eat and run.

Eighteen people showed up, two less than last year. I was a little disapponted in the showing but perhaps next year I'll be one of the absentees. Brenda and Debbie were out caving and weren't there, Bill was absent and several others I was hoping to see were also MIA.

The dogs got along fine. Sadie snapped at Angel whow as barking the entire time (annoying several others). Sadie didn't mind Chalita who was sitting near me. Sadie got all my chicken skins and a few more from others. Everyone lauded her for her good behavior on the trail. She does great as a hiking dog. It's when she's around small, strange dogs that she sometimes loses patience.

More later

No comments:

Post a Comment