Monday, December 6, 2010

Short walk up to the reef








Has it been a month since my last substantial hike? With warmer weather back and a needed break from my studies, I decided to take all three dogs with me to the reef overlook. It's a short, secluded hike. Maybe "hike" is exaggerated. This is more like a walk of around two miles.

We hiked up to the overlooks, stayed there to drink water, and came back down. There was no wind today. Didn't see any raptors, didn't hear any ATVs and didn't see any trash.

It was a nice hour alone. The forest road from the trailhead seems to be an old camping area near abandoned mines. Lots of low-growing manzanitas lined the trail but on a hot day this would be a hot and exposed trail. I came here strictly for the views and the solitude.

The dogs knew the way and stayed close, while I tried out my new Canon SX210IS. My S90, sadly, seems to have died on me last weekend, rather prematurely. (I keep getting the "lens error" message on that thing.). I hadn't dropped the camera, but was getting hesitation with the lens cover. It wouldn't always open all the way. The problem this time was that I had taken several photos just before my "lens error" message. I was walking a trail at slow speed and photographing ant hills when the fatal message came.

Until I can figure out what is wrong with the S90, I bought another camera via Amazon that was on sale for $199.

I played around with the new camera. This thing even has (faux) fish eye capabilities. Wow. Makes the sky look cool. The camera is a bit heavier than my S90 but takes better video. I hope this one lasts me longer than the S90. I do miss my S90, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment