Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Perimeter Trail

Distance: 7.5 miles
Time: 4 hours

Big Steve, Rod, Cassie and I did this hike last Sunday. I just now remembered to write about it. Other events such as the shooting rampage in Tucson last Saturday in which six people were killed (including a 9-year-old girl) and Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords was critically wounded, sidetracked me for a while. And even on Sunday the talk at the trailhead was the tragedy, but I told everyone not to talk about it and to just enjoy the walk. They complied.



I was a little late getting to the trailhead (I was engrossed in any TV or internet updates on Gifford's condition) but once I was at the trailhead, didn't waste much time getting started. I hugged everyone, wished them all a good new year, and got started. It was a nice day for a decent hike and the Perimeter trail is a nice adventure and one I always recommend to newcomers to this high desert.

It was chilly in the shaded spots, but I warmed up nicely on the return hike. It's not too challenging in any way. I had allotted six hours and nine miles for this hike, but I was willing to cut it short depending on what the others wanted to do. The option was either to hike this as a nine-mile loop hike or to do this as a six-mile out-and-back hike. I would go with majority rule. The deciding point is the lool-out spot three miles into the hike.

When we got to our overlook spot, that's when I learned that Cassie wanted to turn around. "But you two should explore this trail and report back to me!" said Rod as he pointed at an unmarked (illegal) trail coming off the main trail. Steve and I did that trail and it turned out to be a 50-minute, butt-kicking "shortcut" along a steep grade higher up the foothills that got us to Clark Springs. My lack of any high-elevation hiking in the last three weeks was evident as I was panting and feeling sore. I had to rest several times. There was some ice there that Sadie used for water but the big surprise was how much packed ice was on Carr Canyon Road, which was closed last weekend due to this ice.

We only came across one young couple with three small children on this hike. No trash, no illegals and no partyers anywhere. Although I've done this hike numerous times now, it's always nice to view into the valley. This time I could look over Highway 90 and see the four miles of improved pavement that took the county two years to build.

Steve and I made it back to the parking lot at 1pm. Rod and Cassie were still on the trail. I had just missed the NPR update on Giffords when I got back into my truck and left. I was afraid she had died while I was hiking. I learned back at home that she was still alive and doing well. What a relief!

Tuesday night the hiking club had its monthly meeting. Three new people showed up, and all three looked like great people to be friends with. This is conflicting for me as I am contemplating leaving the club to persue additional interests (such as train for another California hike this summer) and to devote more time to the Cochise County Master Gardeners, and to try more challenging hikes around Tucson.

No comments:

Post a Comment