Thursday, June 18, 2009

Storms across South Dakota

Rain fell hard over Platte, SD overnight, waking me up at 3:37am. That's when I noticed that I had left the power on while I slept, or otherwise I would not have seen the time on the clock when I woke up. Luckily the engine started.

Thankfully the storm never got too severe, although more lightning from Nebraska looked ominous. KTSD for Central South Dakota forecasted more storms across the state for today, with predictions of hail as well. Where would I seek shelter from hail in a town like Platte, besides the local car wash? That's exactly where I went to use the overhead shelter to let Sadie out, to feed and water her. She, too stayed under the shelter, then jumped back into the van to rest more. I have got to find a decent trail later today to get some miles under out feet! I feel too cooped up right now! Severe storm watches are in effect for southeastern South Dakota until 10am today.

The clouds by 5am began to move eastward. Birds came out to chirp despite still strong gusts. And locals walked into "Shoty's Cafe and Bar" at 6am for breakfast.

Rapid City is over 258 miles away, most of that on I-90. Will I make it that far? I will aim for points south of Pierre and go from there. I learned on my first trip westward that weather has controlled my actions and I have to move on when weather permits. These storms will be no fun in Montana, where the rain is cooler and the winds stronger.

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2009/06/19/community/doc4a3b1a2a9ac24408470556.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment