Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Spearfish, Northeastern Wyoming: Devil's Tower, High Country and the Big Horn Natl Forest

We were up early yesterday, Monday morning, to explore the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway. It was as if we had Paradise to ourselves for about two hours. The Canyon is worth a more deep exploration if I had more time, but since Montana beckons, I had to push ahead.

This deep canyon slices through limestone with the Iron Creek running through it. At 7am as,we drove through, the sun hadn't yet pierced her light through the pines, and I carefully meandered along the highway with the creek cascading along us most of the way. No wonder the Lakota called these hills "Black Hills" as the dense trees let no light in and kept a chill for us.

I missed the trailhead to the creek, which a local write-up deemed the prettiest hike in the area, and instead I drove on to Savoy, which, had I continued on, would have brought me back to Deadwood-Lead and perhaps had given me the streets to myself on a Monday morning.

The Doghuis, however, had other plans. It turned right toward Rimrock Falls, a mere one-mile hike o/w. It was early, and I took the risk of walking Sadie without a leash as we followed the rushing creek under pines, birch, and reeds. The sun was just then showing her colors.  It was a cool, refreshing walk that never left the creek

6/23

No comments:

Post a Comment