Saturday, March 30, 2024

Easter Saturday: long walk with the dogs

I tend to wake up early on weekends to scroll through the internet before getting out of bed. I did the same today. My goal was to walk Gretchen, Fritz, and Wolfie before heading to the house. Soon I will be doing this before sunrise. Today it was overcast and windy, with a cool breeze. I didn't get started until 9:30am with Gretchen. Since she is tethered to avoid her jumping the fence, I always focus on walking her first. The other dogs are untethered and have the whole back yard to run in. Gretchen loves these walks, looking in all directions for something to chase, especially rabbits. Today it was a long walk holding on to the leash tightly, as she spotted a few yard dogs she wanted to fight with. The other dogs distracted me and I missed a crucual left turn and ended up walking a whole mile out of my way. The first three miles with Gretchen tired me out. I rested in the house when I got back and drank iced tea before resuming my walk with Fritz. Fritz' head was bloodied when I got him ready. He had fought with Wolfie while I was walking Gretchen. I hosed Fritz down to cool him off and get the blood off. While superficial wounds, the fact that both dogs continue to fight made me realize the dogs can't stay together. I walked Wolfie around the hood for the last 2.8 miles. He walks smoothly on leash. I didn't see him limp until after the walk, when I noticed two small puncture wounds on top of the first one he got two weeks ago. I hosed hdim down as well as he had dust all over his back, most likely from the fight with Fritz when Fritz held him down. I let Wolfie dry off before I took him with me in the CRV into town. He seemed relaxed in no pain, laying low in the back seat while I had a quick lunch at a Mexican restaurant and then another stop at a CBD store that sells CBD treats for dogs. I figured why not try CBD on Sweetie, who isn't showing any improvement with all the medications she is on. I also stopped to get some first aid medical wraps for Wolfie to wrap up his open wounds. He let me touch him, again without protest, and spend some time with him in the driveway of the house. This is the first time we had a one-on-one. Wolfie is never alone. He always has a sibling near him. I was afraid he'd bark being left alone, but he seemed content being with just me. He gently licked me and let me cuddle him. He took his medication without whining. Then he crawled into one of the dog houses as it got darker. The wind had gotten stronger. This time with him made me fall in love with him. He is a gentle giant. I called Susan to arrange meeting her later. I had canned food to drop off. She was willing to try CBD on Sweetie. I gave Sweetie one treat and we both noticed an immediate calmness. She didn't pace around the house. She lay down on her bed and napped for the duration of my two-hour stay. The SpaceX rocket was scheduled to launch tonight at 7:30pm from Vandenburg AFB but it got delayed to 9pm and them 10:30pm. I stayed a little longer for the 9pm delay, but left when I knew I couldn't stay past 10pm without checking up on Wolfie. Wolfie was still in his dog house when I came by. That's when I was assured he would do well overnight. r

No comments:

Post a Comment