Tuesday, August 15, 2023

The Cochise County Master Naturalist course

 I finally bit the bullet and signed up for the Cochise County Master Naturalist course, or CCMN. It meets twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursday, from 1730-2030 hours in Bisbee, at the former grade school I once worked at when I first retired from the army.  It's a non-credit course, but with this course and 20 hours of volunteer work after graduation in December, I will be able to call myself a certified naturalist.  A naturalist has a passion for human-animal-earth relationships but isn't necessary a master of knowledge in any one field.   I fit that description.

The school closed in 2010. The building still belongs to the school district, but gets assistance from the county.  Parts of the school are used by the Bisbee science lab now.  The playground and eight acres are now under the science lab.

I remember when this was full of screaming kids. The playground still has the swing and monkey bars and basketball court.  Weeds are growing over the court.  Plants are growing under the old canopy.

The best part about this building is the views south into Mexico.  I will always cherish watching the sunsets from the old school. At night the lights of Naco and the lights along the border are obvious.

We will have Saturday field trips with the CCMN.  I'm looking forward to them, especially to the places I haven't yet been to, such as the San Bernadino wildlife refuge east of Douglas, AZ.  That refuge stradles the border with Mexico. 

No comments:

Post a Comment