Tuesday, August 1, 2023

August full moon


 I didn't lead a hike for the full moon due to the forecasted overcast.  I just did my own walk with Fritz and Gretel along the maintenance road.

My error was starting too late.  The sun set at 7:17pm and the moon rose at 7:54pm, more than 30 minutes later.  This big gap in time usually does not provide much color for photographers after sunset when the moon is the focus.  I was right.



I got to my usual parking area at 7:13pm. There was only a very subtle pastel color at sunset, below dense clouds that let no light through.  It went from sunset to dark rather quickly.  Several horses were standing by the wired fence.  Gretel barked, but both horses were silent



I focused on the main dirt road going east, then turned north on the smaller ATV trail.  By now it was getting too dark to see detail.  Both dogs were ahead of me, running on the road, when I see a small rattle snake ahead of me on the trail.  It looked dead, but raised its head to let me know it was a bit annoyed with our presence.  I called both dogs back, both who were oblivious to any dangers, and instead went back to the main road to continue walking east.

An adult javelina rushed out of the brush parallel to me.  It stayed away.  I'm sure the dogs would have chased it off, but they were on the other side of the field .  But as soon as we got back on the main road, both took off again to chase something else, and by now there was very little daylight left.

They were chasing something, and I had to go after the dogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment