Sunday, August 6, 2023

Sweetie officially in Fospice

Susan texted me to let me know she was low on dog food for Sweetie.  This was a perfect excuse to make a visit her way to see Sweetie, drop off more food, and talk.

I was low on canned food as well, so I made a stop in town, as well as a stop at Culver's for some chocolate-strawberry parfait custard.  It's one of my favorite flavors and one of Susan's as well. 

I ended up staying with her for five hours, walking the dogs in the shady parts of her yard, admiring her garden bounty (My own little garden failed this year due to the extreme heat ).  I even had a small meal there.  But the biggest discussion was about Sweetie.

Susan initiated this.  It was simply her asking me if Sweetie could stay with her indefinitely.  I would continue to provide the food and medicine and she would provide the comfort and security.  Sweetie feels comfortable at Susan's place, where she is in a quiet home with no other dogs attacking her.  Allie and Sweetie are both old dogs and get along; any other conflicts the two dogs worked out themselves.  She didn't say it but I could tell Susan has fallen for Sweetie.

I did not debate this.  Sweetie has been with Susan since the morning of my wrist surgery in June. I agree that Susan can provide a better home for Sweetie in many ways.  But I have also gotten attached to my warrior princess, now that she's frail, in pain, and slowly fading away.  She is my last part of Kevin.  When Sweetie goes, I'm not sure how I will feel.

The Galliprant Sweetie is on is helping her mobility.  Sweetie is now back to walking with Susan and Allie on short walks around her acreage and down her dirt road.  She is not limping as badly as earlier this year before the doctor put her on Galliprant.  She seems to enjoy her walks again, tapping her two front legs with excitement when she sees Susan hold her collar before putting it on her.  Putting that collar on means she's going for a walk.

Skies were getting grey and it rained in the mountains during my stay.  It even drizzled on my little plot when I first got home.  But it was not a significant rain at all.  It was another disappointing monsoon, if anything.  We haven't gotten much rain at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment