Saturday, August 6, 2022

Slavin Gulch

This morning I drove with Ellen, her co-worker David, and Gretchen to this seasonal swimming hole.  I hadn't seen this much water in the creek since I took Gina to this area back in 2015.  The Dragoons were a green and watery paradise.


I was a little leery of taking Gretchen.  I was worried she would chase after deer and disappear among the crags, but she did better than expected.  While she enjoyed exploring, she stayed close-by and didn't keep us wating for long.


The Dragoons is a rattle snake habitat and I was on snake alert, especially since Gretchen hasn't had snake avoidance training.


I was exhausted from lack of good sleep,  Ellen and Dave got into the cold water, but I waited to get hot.  I sat in the water but never dove in.  Even Gretchen was cautious.


The hike was just over four miles, hiking to the farthest watering hole.  From that area we could see a water fall even higher up, one that we hadn't noticed before.


We were the only ones on the trail when we first took off at 7:30am, but came across several groups on our way back to our cars by 11am.

No comments:

Post a Comment