Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Perimeter trail south from Miller Canyon to Hunter Canyon

This three-mile section is finally done. I took Gretel, Gretchen and Sweetie on this after work hike under an overcast, cool sky after school today. I wanted to see the route and look at waterfalls from all the rain this week.

I got started just before 3pm. I was the only car in the lot.i carried a windbreaker in case it rained. Small storm cells were to our east 

Everything was so green. This will all start to fade in a month unless we get a Pacific hurricane. Miller creek was rushing nicely; I had to roll up my jeans to keep them dry.
I kept Gretel and Gretchen on leashes. Sweetie was off leash on her own, but in the end she and the other dogs were exhausted.
This is a pretty trail that first huddles a housing area before climbing up along a ridge to reach a hill at the two-mile mark. This hill is a nice turn-around for future moon hikes.

The grass is tall and making the single track look smaller than usual. A few drainages were flowing to provide water. In two months the water will be gone and the grass will be dry, itchy kindling.
Once past the hill, the trail descends and closes in on an old double track I never knew was there before it nears the highway and the entrance to Hunter Canyon. I turned around before reaching the highway to keep the dogs safe.  I didn't want any of the dogs to get close to traffic.

Gretel and Gretchen are getting along nicely. Gretel likes to dart off to explore, and so does Gretchen. Twice they took off on me to chase what I assume are deer, although I never saw any. I'm sure those two ran a good mile more than me.
This hike took us 2:30 hours. All three dogs were clearly tired and didn't want to get out of the truck in the end. I forced Gretchen to go inside with me for the night.  Gretel stayed with Sweetie in the truck and didn't protest.
My Skechers Sieger hikers fell apart during this hike. The sole of my right shoe came apart, which made fast walking treacherous. I bought those shoes in late April! I'm apparently really rough on shoes and cars.




No comments:

Post a Comment