Saturday, August 27, 2022

Babocomari River wash to the old bridge abutment (6.5 miles)

 This was a hike that members of the Huachuca Hiking Club did earlier this month.  Rod, the club secretary, sent every member a write-up of the hike.  It was enticing enough for me to want to hike this route on my own when I had time.  Today was that time.

Weather was near ideal.  The weather app forecasted a high of 80F with an 84%  chance of rain.  It did rain early in the afternoon, but it was short and intense.  I showered during the rain and then packed up the three dogs (Gretel, Gretchen, Sweetie) and drove into town to get my oil changed before heading out.

But I got the shock of my life.  I pulled into the Valvoline shop and was told synthetic oil rated 5/20 is now $68 to $103!!!  That is quite a mark up!  Guess I'm going to have to do oil changes on my own now.

The trailhead is hard to spot if you don't know what to look for.  It's an unmarked gate off SR82 just east past the Tombstone Territories RV Park on the south side of the highway.  This is State Trust Land which requires a permit, which I have.  I drove in and parked just inside the area and let the dogs out.


I got to the trail head for this hike at 2:30pm.  There were rain clouds far to the east and south, but I opted to take the risk and not carry a rain jacket.  I also left my water and pack behind to make this a fast hike.  I knew there was water in the wash at the 1.5 mile mark for the dogs. There was also a flooded trench a half mile into the hike which the dogs took advantage of.

The start is initially not that scenic, meandering through the high creosote, cat claw flora with expansive views in all directions. This is Apache Highland in older literature. The path to the wash for the first 1.6 mile is a double wide road, which intersects with the old railroad line  near the river that was built in the 1880s. The old railroad is a raised path of packed sand (no old tailings,) and easy to walk on.

The path becomes more scenic along the wash. Right now it is rushing with storm water and difficult to access with all the monsoonal growth. This wash seldom fills with water so far from the San Pedro river a mile north.
The dogs were getting hot from the warm ground and were eager to get to the water. I discouraged them to run through the brush to the river below because of the steep embankments. There is no safe access until one reaches the first abutment at the 3.1 mile mark. I took a faint side trail down to the river at the abutment and sat on some rocks while I let the dogs swim and splash around.

The water was strong enough to pull Sweetie and then Gretel about 20 feet around a rocky curve before it continues on more gentler but still strong currents.  Both dogs were swept by the current with the heads facing me.  Neither dog barked in panic, but I could tell Sweetie was traumatized afterward. The dogs pulled themselves back to shore and were more cautious now, staying near shore.  The cascades are a short section, but the river itself is rushing swiftly through the canyon.

It's pretty at these cascades. What a little hidden treasure! When was the last time water came rushing down this canyon?

I was getting thirsty now as well. With two wet and happy dogs, I turned around, hiking back to the truck, going the way I came. Gretel and Gretchen took off for a while again as I began the near 400' climb back up the BLM road.  It was here that I spotted my first Gila Monster in the wild.
Sweetie was ahead of me and totally oblivious to the potential dangers of this lizard. I kicked her out of the lizard's way. She didn't understand the violence, but I'd rather hurt her feelings and her hind area than see her get envenomated and die. The other two dogs were still running around chasing stuff and rejoined me later.

The entire hike took three hours. We had our dinner at McDs.  My allergies kicked in hard once home, thanks to all the pigweed I was walking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment