Tuesday, June 21, 2022

We finally get some decent rain!

Last week Arizona and most of the West experienced record-breaking triple-digit heat.  Even I was suffering.  I couldn't even muster the energy to fulfill my daily 5.5-mile walks. The RV registered 104F on Thursday and Friday.  I kept the dogs outside as much as possible, but came up with trips into town just to allow them some cool air in the truck.

Saturday was supposed to be a rain-out, but any rain fell west and east of me and never over my area.  I was greatly disappointed.


Yesterday I took the dogs into town for lunch at Taco bell and a visit to the San Pedro river by Charleston.  The water there is very low, but the dogs still enjoyed the cool dip. It was at the river that we had to cut the walk short from an intense downpour.  It was dry back home, but this area by the Charleston bridge got hit hard.


Today, the house, the yard and all the thirsty flora around it finally got some relief.



The day started out with a cool, overcast sky.  I walked Gretchen for 3.5 miles along Hereford Road, turning around at the Hereford gravel pit.  There was more traffic today since I didn't start the walk until after 6am.  I don't like cars speeding close to me, but this does help Gretchen get used to cars without the urge to run after them. 

I noticed some illegal trash left behind, like carpet shoes, camoflage clothing, and sun-burned backpacks.  I'm sure that area is a popular pick-up point for load drivers and illegals waiting for their ride.  Just west of the pit is a large culvert along the road where they can wait for their ride without being easily seen by passers-by.


It began to drizzle shortly after 3pm.  I walked the dogs once around the block to give both some exercise before the heavy rain began.  Dark clouds were already gathering over the mountains and it was raining to the north.  


It was a steady, cooling rain for three hours.  I had both dogs inside the RV and they didn't seem to mind, but at 6:30pm I took them on another lap around the block before I took on the dogs in the house. It was Sweetie's only walks today, but she doesn't seem to want to walk much.  She has been getting her 75mg carprofen every day but it will take a few more weeks before I see progress with her arthritis.


The rain didn't soften the soil that much.   I'm still working on Minnie's grave.  The dogs had fun in the mud in my absence.  Sahne looked like a white husky with her muddy fur, but I didn't stay long with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment