Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Walking the river while DC riots

 I know, catchy title.

I've been keeping up with my daily mileage of at least 5.54 miles/day by breaking up the walks in shorter sections.  The mornings have been in the low 40s.  I walk the pups and Zeke and get about two miles in then, then walk a mile at the school, then do another two miles after school.  This way I break up the boredom and get all the dogs walked.  By breaking my daily mileage in shorter sections, I feel less intimidated by maintaining that 5.54 mile daily quota.This morning I saw two long meteors from the waning Quadrantid showers, so that was a nice distraction.

Today I got home a bit earlier than usual.  As soon as I pulled up, Susan contacted me to walk the river, so I gathered the pack and took off.  Sadie didn't want to go.  She stood up from her nap area on the patio to watch us leave but didn't go toward the back gate as she has normally done. Now she doesn't even react when she sees us leave for a walk.  She is now at that stage in life where sleeping is what she is doing the most.  She is still eating well and relieving herself properly, so I'm not yet panicking.  But I know her time on Earth is short now.  Sammy stopped wanting to go on his walks two months before he died.

Minnie continues to have trouble walking, but she loves the water  I will take her to the river for as long as she wants to go.

It was a busy day both in Georgia and in the Capital.  Democrats won the senatorial run-off election today, resulting in a 50-50 tie in the Senate for the 117th Congress when Biden takes over the presidency.  Congress held a ceremonial  electoral vote while Trump held a rally at the White House.  After his rally with claims of voter fraud and a stolen election, Trump urged his supporters to head out to the Capitol, which they did, storming the doors and causing the deaths of four people when the rioters refused to back down.  I watched part of the video live vis C-Span while finishing up a lesson plan in my office.  Then some of my colleagues were talking about a coup, a revolution during our bi-monthly training meetings, and I'm sitting in the office thinking "I can't believe this is happening!"  These rioters were photographed standing in the halls of Congress in  the chairs of politicians who by then were hiding out in the congressional basement, trashing the building and overwhelming the Capitol Police.  

Susan mentioned the rioters later on, but then said they were "antifa supporters in Trump clothing."  That irritated me.  "No Susan, those were Trump supporters!"  She is not the first person to deny that Trump supporters can be violent.  We quickly dropped the conversation and focused on the dogs.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/01/06/us/trump-mob-capitol-building.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/06/us/politics/georgia-senate-trump-black-voters.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/07/world/covid-19-coronavirus

more later 


***

Global cases 87,872,929

Global deaths 1,903,632

US cases 21,857,566 (+255,047)

US deaths 369,990 (+4039)

AZ cases 574,680 (+7206) 8148 in Cochise County 

AZ deaths 9444 (+127) 144 in Cochise County

CA cases 2,537,587 (+34,337)

CA deaths 28,023 (+542)

IN cases 539,229 (+6146)

IN deaths 8743 (+80)

GA cases 713,840

GA deaths 11165 (+93)



No comments:

Post a Comment