Friday, January 1, 2021

Patio Peak, South Bisbee

 Yesterday's hike tired me.  I didn't want to get up today.  My right hand and right thigh are still sore

I wanted to do a different hike today, and by 11am I finally left the house with four dogs and headed to Bisbee, leaving Minnie and Sadie at home.  This would be Hansel's first big hike since recovering from his surgery. He had a blast running with the pack

I parked off the trailhead off Yuma Trail, got around the fence, and walked the route the Bisbee Muleteam walked when they hosted this hike last March.  It was a tad chilly, a mere 51F, and mostly clear sky.  The dogs enjoyed getting out and stayed close.

As expected, there was no water in any of the springs.  This was a very dry hike and I used up most of a half gallon in the first three miles.

I wanted to explore Gold Hill, the tallest peak in the South Mules at 5`918', but there was no trail coming off the main trail on the north side.  I would have to come back and explore from the south.  Gold Hill has been Arizona's highest-producing gold mine but has been closed since the 1980s.

The land here is owned by Phelp-Dodge Mining, but locals are allowed to hike the old mining trails.  They just can't hunt or camp here.  The ground surface is mostly loose rock and studded with ocotillo and some oaks. Cattle graze here as well, but I only saw one black Angus.  This would be a pretty area after a heavy rain.

I was slow moving today, not having eaten a meal before taking off.  I lacked energy and stopped often.  The 0.25 mile going up to the ridge of Patio Peak was not easy for me and I rested several times, as I rested many more times on my return hike.


I didn't stay long on the top.  I was slow enough today and Steve wanted to meet at the Toad at 3pm.  I would have to conitnue without breaks to make that time frame.  Instead, I got slower.

I decided to bushwhack down the ridge rather than take the trail back, and that probably wasn't very wise.  Too many ankle-twisting rocks are hidden by the dead grass.  I took one bad fall, again on my right thigh. and stumbled a few more times.  I came across a few mine shafts coming down the hillside.  These holes aren't visible from the trail.  I made it off the hill near an old corral and empty trough, but didn't see any cattle.  There was plenty of dried cow scat.

The last two miles were the hardest.  Even the dogs were tired, and rested every time I did. My right thigh and both ankles were sore now.  

I got back to the car at 4:12pm but had no phone reception. What kind of service do the people in Warren have? I had to wait until I was in Old Bisbee to call and then Steve didn't answer.  There were now clouds in the sky over Sierra Vista. 

I arrived at the Horned Toad just before 5pm and stayed almost an hour, chatting with Steve, having two beers.  He gave me two bottles of his son's coconut porter.  I tried one later at home and it was quite good.


***

Global cases 85,199,443

Global deaths 1,853,261



US cases 20, 904,649 (+259,620)

US deaths 358,682 (+2106

AZ cases 539,150 (+8883)

AZ deaths 9061 (+46)

CA cases 2392,623 (+25,663)

CA deaths 26.533 (+723)

IN cases 523,090 (+5317)

IN deaths 8410 (+39)

TN cases 604,132 (+17,330)

TN deaths 6070 (+63)

No comments:

Post a Comment