Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Thompson Ridge in the snow

Ellen loves snow.  As a native Arizonan, she enjoys hiking in virgin snow.  While we didn't have time to hike Carr Peak today (the Forest Service closed the road two days ago), I suggested we hike up to Thompson Ridge in Ash Canyon.  It's a north-facing switchback with a steep grade, offering a challenge and views for the hiker in a short time.  She had never been up this old mining trail.

Wednesdays is our early release day.  Students are done at noon and teachers then have professional development until around 1:30pm.  I kept up with grading so at 1:30pm, I left to pick up the dogs, get into my snow gear, and meet Ellen at 2:15pm at the mouth of Ash Canyon.  I had all four dogs anxiously waiting to get out and hike for 15 minutes before she did arrive.  I then lead the way to the trailhead, but just past the Ash-Lutz Y in the road, the ice on the road got to be too much for my Honda and I lost traction, so we turned around and parked at a safe turn-off.  We got started at 2:30pm, a good time as it was still sunny and warm.



Today's high was 45F and some of the snow was already melting (only to refreeze after sunset).  I didn't have my leashes because I had hoped to start at the trailhead.  There were a few families building snowmen in the snow but the dogs left them alone.

The dogs were loving the snow, especially Hansel.  He and Sweetie would leap into the deep, fluffy snow off the trail, run down a slope, and dredge back up the trail.  Hansel had no trouble, but Sweetie, being the smallest of my dogs, was having trouble in the deeper, steeper sections.  At one point early on, she got separated from the pack and traveled back down the hill.  We could hear her barking and it sounded far away.  So she either decided to walk back to the car, or her barking was muted by a low spur she was in.  We walked back a bit, I yelled out her name, and just as I was ready to walk back down the hill to find her, she came leaping out of the snow. Whatever happened to her, she stayed close after that.



Tire tracks made the first mile up the hill easy, but the tracks disappeared before we reached the gate a mile up.  From here on up it was all virgin snow, 8-12 inches.  The exposed parts had little to no snow, so it was not a constant slog. We all took turns blazing the trail and postholing in the snow.  The higher we got, the deeper the drifts became.  I wasn't about to give up, though.  As long as we had enough daylight for the return hike and the snow was manageable, I was ok with the challenge.  



It took us 1:31 hours to get to the ridge in the 2.7 miles. The saddle was snowfree and a relief for us all. My feet were damp but not yet cold as long as I was moving.  The dogs continued to chase each other (they have no concept of "taking a break).  Ellen enjoyed the views.  We took a few photographs and then started our return hike.  I'm sure the dogs were happy to get back to the car, as now they stayed close.

Two families were still sledding on the road as we walked past.  The ice was now freezing and the snow was behind the mountains.  We got back to the cars, still safely parked off the road, at 5:30 as the near fullmoon was now visible from the east.  It had taken us only an hour to walk back down.  We had timed this hike just right, even with the two added miles.

Another storm is due in Friday and may add fresh snow to the higher elevations, so I'm glad I got my annual snow march in early.  If we had a foot of snow at 6786', I'm curious how much is on Carr or Miller Peaks.

***

Global cases 101,606,537

Global deaths 2,198,881

US cases 26,166,371 (+145,688)

US deaths 439,521 (+3880)

AZ cases 738,561 (+5918)

AZ deaths 12,643 (+195)

CA cases 3,233,200 (+17,882)

CA deaths 38,634 (+673)

IN cases 617,176 (+2230)

IN deaths 9845 (+38)

PA cases 824,216 (+5865)

PA  deaths 21,136 (+221)

No comments:

Post a Comment