Thursday, October 1, 2020

Gretel is calming down



I walked Zeke and Sweetie in the morning at sunrise, taking them on a big rectangular route around the neighborhood for two miles. Zeke and Sweetie know the routine and are good on leash.  It was hot and dry (upper 80s) by noon.

I then took the pups to the dog park at 5:30pm.  The sun was already sinking behind the mountains, but there were plenty of people and their dogs there.  I stayed for an hour, chatting with a Tom, Jeff and Stephanie. Tom was there with his long-haired GSD Shiloh and rescue Shookie,  who resembled a cross between a Corgi and a Malinois.

The pups played well today.  Neither dog barked as we entered the park, and Gretel even played a bit with Blaze, Jeff's Rottweiler-LabX girl.  Jeff and I were the last to leave and he had to rattle on his personal history.  A bad fall caused him spinal injuries and he's now walking with an upper back stiffness.  Blaze is his service dog.  While I don't like to pry into strangers' lives, he did volunteer he had gotten a "few Article 15s" while in the army.  He wasn't a bad soldier, he added, but he did make a few bad decisions.  "I could have been a good dental assistant had I played my cards right."  His brother had gotten a dishonorable discharge for hashish use.  Jeff said he had gotten a "General under Honorable" discharge.

While she did still get nervous around the strange pack of dogs, and did jump up on the bench to be next to me, she seemed more at ease.  I'm making progress with her!  And when everyone left at sunset and the Harvest Moon rose at 6:40pm, we walked three laps around the park to rap up two miles.  That big orange moon slowly whitened as it rose into the sky.


***

Global cases 34,620,708

Global deaths: 1,034,361

US cases: 7,497,931 (+48,793)

US deaths: 212,702 (+941)

AZ cases: 219,212 (+705)

AZ deaths 5674 (+24)

NY cases: 494,607 (+1531)

NY deaths 33,266 (+20)

No comments:

Post a Comment