Saturday, October 17, 2020

Bisbee walk about

I didn't really have anything planned for today, but then Theresa called me at 8:45am and wanted to know if I had any hikes planned for next weekend.  I hadn't seen or heard from her since our April Full moon hike!  She told me her story of why she has been so silent.  Her husband died last December, and even though he had health issues, he wasn't deadly ill.  His death was a surprise.  But then she tells me she had five more relatives die this year and two of them were from covid.  Her sister and a nephew succumbed to the disease.


So, to check out a potential route through Bisbee for next Sunday that a casual walker could enjoy, I took off at 11am with Zeke and the black nylon collar Susan had found.  I dropped that collar with license tag at the Bisbee Animal shelter and then drove into Old Bisbee to walk around some fall foliage.  I always enjoy having an excuse to come to Bisbee.

I had a hard time finding a parking space as there were many people in town enjoying the outside dining.  They were all masked, too! I finally found a spot in front of St Elmo's bar, and locals told me that spot is notorious for side swipes in the evening as drunks have a hard time negotiating the tight curve around the parking lot. 

As for fall foliage, there was none.  I'll have to wait another month, it seems. I also didn't see too many presidential campaign signs.  Bisbee is a Democratic island in a state of gun-toting Republicans, but I didn't see nearly as many Biden-Harris signs as I saw "Feel the Bern" signs for Sen. Bernie Sanders back in 2016.

It was already 85F when I started at 11am.  Zeke got warm fast.  The high sun didn't allow for much shade, so I opted to stay in narrow streets covered by tall buildings and streets shaded by trees. I started in Brewery Gulch. I walked on less-popular streets, going to the Buddhist shrine and other back alleys.  I always enjoy finding new things to photograph.  The cool mural of the smoking Santa that was on the graffiti wall had been painted over, so that was a bummer. Bisbee is a fun town to explore, but not in this heat!


Even I suffered from the heat.  I took a break for a tasty lunch at Thuy's Noodle Shop which has relocated to across the Iron Man statue.  I ordered a delicious bowl of curry chicken and let Zeke rest in the shade. That portion of curry chicken was large enough to feed two people.  When I continued my walk it had reached 90F.  This was too hot for enjoyment and I cut the walk short, heading back to the Honda to drive back home.  I checked into the Old Bisbee Brewery but there were no special beers featured, so I left.


Halloween falls on a Saturday this month AND on a full moon.  I'll head out to Bisbee then.  No town does Halloween as crazily as Bisbee.


***

Global cases: 39,981,226

Global deaths: 1,120,917

US cases: 8,342,616 (+55,543)

US deaths 224,282 (+658); CDC predicts 240,000 deaths by Nov 7.

France cases: 867,197 (+32,427); ranked #9 in world

France deaths: 33,303

AZ cases: 230,407 (+921) 2030 in Cochise County

AZ deaths: 5824 (+18)

CO cases: 84,369 (+1139)

CO deaths: 2176 (+4) 


No comments:

Post a Comment